When Should I apply for the renewal of study permit?
It's recommended that you apply 3 to 4 months before your current study permit expires. Please note you cannot extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport.
If your study permit expires within the 60 days after your completion of study, consider applying to extend your study permit for an additional bridging period 3 to 4 months before your study permit expires. Having a valid study permit at the time of post-graduation work permit (PGWP) application is one of the requirements to be eligible to work full-time after submitting your PGWP application online.
Check current estimated processing times
How to extend your study permit
You must apply from within Canada.
• Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website
- Create MyCIC account and follow the instructions.
In order to get the confirmation of enrollment letter, please fill up the request form and submit it to the Office of Registrar either in person or by email (email@example.com).
Maintaining your student status
- Keep a valid study permit.
- International Students in Canada are required to actively pursue studies.
- IRCC also requires international students to remain enrolled and make reasonable progress towards the completion of studies. You can change your programs or institutions during your study, but the officer may request additional information to verify the intention to be in Canada is to study.
If your study permit expires after your study permit extension application was submitted
If you applied for renewal of your study permit before your study permit expires, your student status still maintains until a decision is made. This is known as “implied status” and you have the right to continue studying under the same conditions pending a determination of your application for renewal only as long as you remain in Canada.
If your study permit already expired and you haven’t applied for an extension
- You must stop studying and working immediately.
- Visit International Learner Advisor as soon as possible.
- You have 90 days from the day you lost your status to apply for a restoration.
- If you have not applied to extend your study permit and it expired more than 90 days ago, you must leave the country as soon as possible and apply for a new study permit outside of Canada.
When Bow Valley College approves the leave of absence according to the Bow Valley College policy, you may be able to take a leave of up to a maximum of 150 days from your program of studies and still be considered to be actively pursuing your studies.
Other important considerations
Please review the Important Notes for International Students related to your study plan and enrollment related to:
- Minimum Full-Time vs. Part-time Course Loads
- Online courses registration
- Credits transfer
- Academic Breaks