When Should I apply for the renewal of study permit?

It's recommended that you apply 3 to 4 months before your current study permit expires. Please note you cannot extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport.
If your study permit expires within the 60 days after your completion of study, consider applying to extend your study permit for an additional bridging period 3 to 4 months before your study permit expires. Having a valid study permit at the time of post-graduation work permit (PGWP) application is one of the requirements to be eligible to work full-time after submitting your PGWP application online.

Check current estimated processing times

How to extend your study permit

You must apply from within Canada.

• Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website
- Create IRCC secure account and follow the instructions.

In order to get the confirmation of enrollment letter, please refer to the official college letters page

Maintaining your student status
  • Keep a valid study permit.
  • International Students in Canada are required to actively pursue studies.
  • IRCC also requires international students to remain enrolled and make reasonable progress towards the completion of studies. You can change your programs or institutions during your study, but the officer may request additional information to verify the intention to be in Canada is to study.
If your study permit expires after your study permit extension application was submitted

If you applied for renewal of your study permit before your study permit expires, your student status still maintains until a decision is made. This is known as “maintained status” and you have the right to continue studying under the same conditions pending a determination of your application for renewal only as long as you remain in Canada.

If your study permit already expired and you haven’t applied for an extension
  • You must stop studying and working immediately.
  • Visit International Learner Advisor as soon as possible.
  • You have 90 days from the day you lost your status to apply for a restoration.
  • If you have not applied to extend your study permit and it expired more than 90 days ago, you must leave the country as soon as possible and apply for a new study permit outside of Canada.
Authorized leave

When Bow Valley College approves the leave of absence according to the Bow Valley College policy, you may be able to take a leave of up to a maximum of 150 days from your program of studies and still be considered to be actively pursuing your studies.

Other important considerations

Please review the Important Notes for International Students related to your study plan and enrollment related to:

  • Minimum Full-Time vs. Part-time Course Loads
  • Online courses registration
  • Credits transfer
  • Academic Breaks

Frequently Asked Questions

You are recommended to maintain your full-time status.

As an international student enrolled in a full-time program, remember that you are in Canada to study as a full-time student.

Always review your study permit to verify if any restrictions related to your inquiry are stated on your document.

As well, please take in consideration that when you become a part-time student, you will not be eligible for On-Campus and Off-Campus Work Permit programs.

See other considerations about part-time studies

Please click here to determine if you need to submit changes to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and to know how you can report it.

Please click here to read the steps on how to extend your study permit.

You must have a valid study permit or be on “maintained status” while you complete your program

Please click here for details. You must be aware of your study permit expiration date and apply very early before the expiration date.

If you applied for an extension of your study permit before your current one expired, you are in an "maintained status". Continue to the next question for details.

Please click here for a detail explanation.

If you applied to extend your study permit AFTER your current study permit expired, then you are "restoring your status". You are not allowed to study until your status is restored. For details click here.

A study permit will only be issued for study purposes. You can only apply for a study permit extension if you have a letter of acceptance or an enrollment confirmation letter for studies continuing after your study permit expires. You can read the requirements to extend your study permit here.

Please click here to read about requirements to be able to return to Canada.

You must ensure you have all the documents required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada before you leave the country. 

International Learner Advisors




Student Services, 1st Floor

South Campus Building



Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy