Your roadmap to student success
Welcome to Bow Valley College. New Student Orientation is important for all students joining the Bow Valley College community for the first time. Attend The Winter 2019 New Student orientation on Thursday, January 3, 2019 to:
- Get the right tools to succeed in your academic courses and be comfortable with BVC before classes begin
- Meet fellow students, your instructors and program coordinators
- Learn about the many free resources and student services available at BVC
- Enjoy a free lunch provided by the Students’ Association
Some programs may have extra activities during the first week of classes, but this orientation is required for all new Bow Valley College learners. If you're an international student you'll need to attend regular orientation and international education orientation.
To register for New Student Orientation please sign in to your student email account at www.mybvc.ca
Online Student Orientation Videos
Use this checklist to make sure you are ready for your first day at Bow Valley College.
- Log in to the student web portal at mybvc.ca.
- Check your mybvc.ca email weekly to make sure you are getting important news and messages from the College.
- Access your timetable and courses through mybvc.ca under "Registration" and then "Schedule" (this applies to most programs).
- Visit the Registrar's Office in South Campus, first floor, to have your picture taken and get your Student ID card. Online and distance learners will also need an ID to use campus services or write exams on campus.
- Buy your textbooks at the Bookstore. Check with your program coordinator or instructor before you buy them to make sure you have the right edition.
- If you're a student with a disability, apply for support services and academic accommodations before you start classes. Download the
Setting up academic accommodations checklist.
- You can visit us in person at Learner Success Services in South Campus, first floor, call 403-410-1440, or email email@example.com.
- Lockers are available for a rental fee. You can rent a locker at bvc.lockergm.net. You will need a myBVC username and password, credit card, debit or Visa/MasterCard gift card to register. For regional campuses, please contact the location directly to ask about locker availability.
Be sure to add important dates and deadlines to your calendar at the beginning of the year.
- Email a copy or photo of your valid study permit to the international student advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply for basic health insurance coverage through Alberta Health Care if you are eligible.
- Apply for your co-op work permit before you start the clinical, practicum, or work portions of your certificate or diploma program.
- Make sure your contact information is up to date on your mybvc.ca account.
- Pick up your welcome information sheet at the International Education department South Campus, second floor, and meet your advisor.
For more information about orientation and student life in general, check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Please check back in Winter 2018 for a new version of the Learner Handbook.
Need some extra preparation before starting school? Get started before Orientation Day with our one-day Learning Boot Camp. Sign up for Learning Navigator and have a BVC staff/ faculty member mentor you through your first semester of studies.
Attend Budget Boot Camp to shape up your money management skills before you start school.
Be prepared to make the most of the Technology we use at Bow Valley College by attending our Technology Boot Camp.