What is work?

“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market. Volunteer activities that are not “work” do not require a work permit. Please refer directly to the IRCC website to learn more about volunteer work and permits here


Frequently Asked Questions

Depending on the type of "work" you would be doing you may be required to have a work permit. Please click here to obtain further information on volunteering.

International Learner Advisors




Student Services, 1st Floor

South Campus Building



Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy