International Students

Last updated: May 25, 2020


This page contains information that applies specifically to International Students, for more general information visit the Current Student FAQs page.

Bow Valley College is currently accepting registration for the 2020 Spring semester for students already residing in Canada.  At this time, students who are not in Canada, will be contacted to determine an alternate intake for students to attend classes. Please contact for any further questions.  

International students accepted to the Spring 2020 semester can request to change their program start date. To request a change to your program’s start date, please email to discuss options.



New! What updates have occurred for the Spring, Summer, and Fall semester?

The IRCC has approved students to begin their courses online, outside of Canada. 

If you have a study permit, or been approved for a study permit for a program starting in the spring, summer or fall, but you can’t travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, you’re also still eligible for the PGWP.

If you’re in this situation, you may

  • begin your classes while outside Canada, and
  • complete up to 50% of your program while outside Canada, if you can’t travel to Canada sooner.

If you start your studies in September 2020, you will not have time deducted from the length of your post-graduation work permit for studies you complete while outside Canada between September 2020 and December 31, 2020.


For updates on study permit and post graduate work permit qualification during COVID-19, please visit:


New!  As an International student, how many hours am I able to work a week?

Effective immediately, international students in Canada are able to work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session if they are working in an essential service or function such as health care, the supply of food or other critical goods.

Find out here if your work is considered an essential service.

Students can continue to work even if COVID-19 has forced them to become a part-time student or take a break in studies if they are a full time student, and are authorized to work on or off-campus during their studies. 

IRCC updates on working regulations for international students can be found here:



I am a current international student facing financial difficulty due to COVID19. Can I access financial assistance?

International students are asked to apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).  If you have stopped working because of COVID-19 and are facing financial difficulty due to COVID19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support. The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks.  Please visit the IRCC webpage to determine if you are eligible, and to access the application. 

For further information please visit:


I am an international student that will need to self-isolate after arrival.  Where can I stay?

The Hotel Association of Canada is housing students in vacant hotels to support the mandatory 14 day self-quarantine.  This arrangement does not involve the College.  Please contact Rebecca Bartlett-Jones, Manager of Business Development for room available in Calgary, by emailing:


I am an international student wanting to apply to Bow Valley College.  How can I provide official documents?

Academic requirements:

Please refer to Admissions and Placement testing for the use of Examity, an online proctoring service:

English language proficiency:

Bow Valley College is currently accepting Duolingo tests to demonstrate English proficiency:


I am an international student; can I travel to Canada / Calgary from abroad? 

Some international students are now able to enter Canada. Please visit the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the latest information:

If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.

You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.

Effective April 20, 2020 and until further notice, new measures require all air passengers to have a non-medical mask or face covering to cover their mouth and nose during travel.  Additional information can be found at:


I'm an international student, how will the online delivery of my classes impact me?

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), for international students, courses of study being delivered online on an exceptional basis due to COVID-19 will not affect Post-Graduation Work Permit Program eligibility for a post-graduation work permit.  More details for certain groups:


I'm an international student with a insurance policy, has anything changed?

As of March 15, 2020, coverage with respect to students in Calgary or arriving and medical coverage for COVID-19 has not changed. Provided they are eligible for the policy and are not experiencing any symptoms on arrival, they will have coverage for COVID-19 under the terms and conditions of the policy, just like any other medical condition. 

IMPORTANT: If you travel outside of Canada after March 13, 2020, your policy is VOID. 



I'm an international student with a Gallivan insurance policy; has anything changed?

According to Gallivan: Student Health and Wellness, "Your health insurance plan covers you for certain eligible medical services or products required for treatment of an illness or injury. There are no specific illnesses excluded from your student health plan, therefore, eligible medical services or products prescribed to you by a recognized practitioner would be covered under your plan regardless of what illness these are treating. We urge everyone to consult the Student Health Insurance information to determine how coverage is affected".  Further information on Gallivan insurance for students can be found at


Are study and work permits being processed?  

IRCC continues to process permits and has extended deadlines for applicants to provide required documentation. However, service delivery has been and will continue to be severely impacted, with many overseas missions down to essential staff, and Visa Application Centres closed, making it impossible, in some cases, for applicants to provide biometrics.

 Until further notice, IRCC offices will not refuse an application for non-compliance. IRCC will continue to request additional supporting documents or necessary actions as part of the application process and will keep the application open.

Additional information can be found at:


How are longer processing times for study permits and co-op work permits going to impact my status in Canada?

Students needing to extend their study permit or co-op work permit should do so as soon as necessary.  These permits will remain in implied status, allowing them to resume their studies and co-op or practicum placements. 

Pleases refer to the College’s webpage on immigration related questions for applying:

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy