New Information for International Students Preparing to Travel to Canada:
Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced changes to travel restrictions that will facilitate the entry of international students into Canada and Bow Valley College.
Effective October 20, international students, regardless of where they are traveling from or when their study permit was approved will be able to enter Canada, if they meet immigration requirements and follow the steps below:
Here's how to begin the process as an international Bow Valley College Student:
- Review the Student Quarantine Guide, to understand what you need to include in your quarantine plan, and what to expect during your 14-day quarantine, if you are approved to travel to Canada.
- Provide your quarantine plan through this link. (This link must be accessed by using your BVC email address. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. if you have challenges accessing the quarantine plan link).
- If you are arriving with a family member(s) each family member must be identified in the quarantine plan.
- Your quarantine plan will be assessed by an International Learner Advisor, who will respond within 5 business days. (If your quarantine plan is incomplete, you will be required to resubmit a new one.)
- Students with complete quarantine plans, will be issued a travel support letter, and pre-departure checklist.
- Submit your quarantine plan to the Government of Canada, through the ArriveCAN mobile app.
- Submit your Alberta Isolation Questionnaire to the Government of Alberta.
- Download the ABTraceTogether mobile app.
- Upon your arrival to Calgary notify Bow Valley College here
Hotels for Quarantine
International students must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada (starting from the date you arrive in Canada). If you are considering a hotel or motel for your quarantine, the Hampton Inn (traditional guestrooms) and Homewood Suites (suites with kitchens) offer our students discounted rates. Please review the links below for more information and to book your stay:
Bow Valley College does not offer on or off-campus housing, however we offer a list of resources for housing options, including, homestay, rentals, and student housing at SAIT.
Please note that Bow Valley College is not affiliated with any of these companies. We cannot guarantee the quality of service or accommodation.
Homestay and student residence
- Pick Homestay and Airport Pick-up: Bow Valley College students receive a discount with Pick Homestay. It allows international students to live with a host family and have an amazing cultural experience.
- Canada Homestay International: Allows international students to live in a Canadian home as a member of the family.
- SAIT residence: Bow Valley College students are eligible to live in SAIT residence.
- Places4Students.com has partnered with SABVC to ensure that you can find affordable off-campus housing.
These websites provide information on the rights of renters and landlords:
Medical Health Insurance
Students arriving before the start of class, must ensure they possess their own private medical or travel insurance that covers medical expenses in Canada. This coverage must be valid until the start of their term. After the start of their term, mandatory student insurance plans will come into effect.
For career students:
Career students can request a copy of their Gallivan insurance card from the Student Benefits Plan Office at email@example.com. Click here for additional information on the student benefits plan.
For ELL students:
All ELL students receive their Guard.me insurance cards via email within the first week of classes. If you do not have your card, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For all students:
All students must enroll themselves in the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan when they arrive. Registration is not automatic.
Alberta Health Care Insurance is a basic health care coverage that is administered and governed by the provincial Government of Alberta. All eligible recipients are required by law to be covered by this insurance plan.
Students must enrol themselves for Alberta Health Care Insurance when they arrive and establish a residence in Alberta, registration is not automatic. For specific details on Alberta Health Care Insurance benefits and how to register please refer to the website health.alberta.ca.
Other links of interest:
To find health care information, please visit Alberta Health Services' website.