Who Needs A Study Permit?

You must have a study permit if your program of studies is longer than 6 months.

Who Doesn't Need A Study Permit?

You do not need a study permit if your program:

  • will be 6 months or shorter, and
  • will end before your initial immigration status expires

You might consider applying for a study permit even if your program is shorter than 6 months if:

  • you might extend your studies after your original program ends

Designated Learning Institution

Bow Valley College is proud to be a Designated Learning Institution. Our registration record is DLI # O19273769422 (The first character is the letter O).

When you apply for a study permit, you must provide the DLI number and your Letter of Acceptance.

See the list of Designated Learning Institutions

Transfer Institution: DLI Change

Coming to Bow Valley College from another Canadian college or university:

Valid Study Permit

If you have a valid study permit, you don't need to apply for a new permit. However, you must inform IRCC of your institution change by changing your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) online via your MyCIC account.

Change Of Schools

If you change schools and don't notify IRCC, your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If you aren't registered to study, you're breaking the conditions of your study permit. This might cause study or work permit refusals in the future.

Study Permits

Ensure you have the right study permits for the programs or courses you wish to enrol in.

Study Permits

Student Direct Stream

Two college students in campus library, studying, education, Bow Valley College
Businessman on cellphone at computer

Work Permits

If you would like to work while studying in Canada, ensure you have the right work permit.

CO-OP Work Permit

Off-Campus Work Permit

International Learner Advisors




Student Services, 1st Floor

South Campus Building



Note: The immigration information on the Bow Valley College Website has been reviewed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations or the Citizenship Act and Regulations, as applicable. Please note information might change without the notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy