How To Apply For A Study Permit

Apply as soon as you get accepted to Bow Valley College and have your Letter of Acceptance.

You must apply for your initial study permit from outside of Canada.

Check estimated processing time.

  1. Create document checklist
  2. Gather your required documents
  3. Complete the application form
    1. CO-OP Work Permit

      If your program includes a work experience/practicum/co-op/clinical/preceptorship, it is strongly recommended to apply for a co-op work permit at the same time as you apply for your initial study permit.

      Health Exam For Health Or Children Related Fields

      If your program includes a work experience/practicum/co-op/clinical/preceptorship and you are working in a health related field or working with children, you need to get a medical exam done by a designated physician.

      Student Direct Stream (SDS)

      The visa offices in China, India, the Philippines, Vietnam, Pakistan, Senegal, and Morocco have two pathways available for a study permit application:

      1. Regular stream
      2. The Student Direct Stream (SDS)
Recommended Options
  • Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website
  • Create an IRCC secure account and follow the instructions

Alternate Options

Download the paper application in the "Apply on Paper" section of the IRCC website

If your study permit application is approved, you will be issued a Letter of Introduction.

If you apply for an initial study permit outside of Canada, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa / Entry Visa) or eTA.

If your study permit is approved, you will be issued a TRV or eTA along with your study permit approval.

You will need to present this letter to the Canada Border Services Officer when you arrive in Canada to have your study permit issued on the port of entry (airport or US/Canada border).

1. Present your Letter of Introduction to the Canada Border Services Officer and request a study permit.

2. Before leaving the officer's desk, ensure the information on your study permit is correct and that it states you may work or may accept employment (If any information is incorrect or missing, request the amendment at that spot).

Note: ELL students are not eligible for work off-campus and ELL students would not have this statement on your study permit.

After entering Canada, please present your study permit and co-op work permit to the International Learner Advisors (Student Services, 1st Floor

South Campus Building) or email a copy to as soon as possible.

Find out more about requirements to study in Canada.


Check out the International Students Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to your questions.

Or get in touch by sending us a message to


Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy