Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS).

Most SDS applications are processed within 20 calendar days. However, some applications may take longer.

Some International Students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream by:

  • Giving their biometrics as soon as possible
  • Meeting all the eligibility requirements

Note: A study permit is not a visa and does not, by itself, allow you to travel to or enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If you do, your visitor visa or eTA will be issued with your study permit.


Who Can Apply?

To be eligible for faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must:

1. Be a legal resident living in 1 of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Vietnam

2. Have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution

3. Live outside of Canada when you apply

4. Have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study

5. Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000

6. Get a medical exam before you apply (if you need one)

7. Get a police certificate before you apply (if you need one)

8. Have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)

9. Have a language test result that shows either:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening), or
  • A Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you include all the documents required by the visa office that processes your application.

If you live anywhere other than 1 of the countries listed above (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), you must apply through the regular study permit application process.

If you live in another country (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), or if you don’t meet the eligibility for faster processing, you may still be eligible for a study permit through the regular study permit application process.

You can provide proof in the following ways:

  • A receipt from the DLI
  • An official letter from the DLI confirming payment of tuition fees
  • A receipt from a bank showing that tuition fees have been paid to the DLI
  • Proof that the tuition fee amount has been transferred into a repository account at the DLI to be applied to the tuition bill at a later date

A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time.

The bank that gives you the GIC must:

  • Confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you 1 of the following:
    • A letter of attestation
    • A GIC certificate
    • An Investment Directions Confirmation, or
    • An Investment Balance Confirmation
  • Hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
  • Make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
  • Release the funds to you by providing:
    • An initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
    • The remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months

If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream.

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may need to get a medical exam or police certificate.

To get faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must include these with your application (if you need them). If you don’t, we won’t process your application faster.

Who Needs A Medical Exam

You may need to get a medical exam if:

1. You lived or travelled in certain countries or territories for 6 or more months in the year before you come to Canada

2. You plan on studying or working in:

  • The health field
  • Primary or secondary education, or
  • Child or elder care

To get a medical exam, you must see a doctor that has been approved by IRCC.

Who Needs A Police Certificate

Your visa office instructions will tell you if you need to get a police certificate.

Make sure you read these instructions before you apply, so you know if you need a police certificate or any other documents to apply.

How To Apply?

You must apply online to get faster processing for your study permit. Paper applications are not available for the Student Direct Stream.

Make sure you include all the required documents with your application.

Before you apply, make sure you have the following:

You will likely need to provide your biometrics when you apply.

You should pay the biometric fee when you submit your online application.

If you don’t pay the fee at this time, the Government of Canada may not be able to process your application faster.

After You Apply

Once you pay your fees (including your biometrics fee) and submit your application, you will be sent a letter that says you need to give your biometrics (if you need to).

The letter will tell you how and where you need to do this.

When you go to your biometrics appointment, you must bring:

  • The letter you received in the mail
  • A valid passport

You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics in person.

If you didn’t pay the biometrics fee, you'll receive another letter asking you to make you payment first.

You can only get the instruction letter once you pay the biometrics fee.

Once you submit your biometrics, your study permit application can be processed.

Most Student Direct Stream applications process within 20 calendar days after submitting your biometrics, if you meet the eligibility.

If your application doesn’t meet the eligibility for the Student Direct Stream, it will be reviewed as a regular study permit. Your application will not be processed faster if this happens.

If your application is approved, you'll be sent:

  • A port of entry letter of introduction
    • This isn’t your study permit. You need to show this letter to the officer when you arrive in Canada
  • An electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor (temporary resident) visa, depending on which you need to enter Canada

Before you travel to Canada, make sure your DLI is on the list of those with approved COVID-19 readiness plans. You won’t be able to enter Canada if your DLI isn’t on this list.


Your letter of introduction will have information about it. Your eTA will be electronically linked to your passport and will be valid for 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. Make sure you travel with the passport you used to apply.

Visitor Visa

You'll need to send your passport to the nearest visa office so your visa can be attached to it. Your visa will be in your passport and will show if you can enter Canada once or multiple times. You must enter Canada before your visa expires.

If your application is refused, a letter will be sent to you explaining why you were refused. If you have questions, contact the office that sent the refusal letter.

International Learner Advisors




Student Services, 1st Floor

South Campus Building

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy