Definition Of On Campus Work

The students are allowed to work on the campus of Bow Valley College. The employer can be any of the following:

  • The Institution
  • A Faculty
  • A Student Organization
  • The Students Themselves (Self-Employment Taking Place On Campus)
  • A Private Business
  • A Private Contractor Providing Services To The Institution On Campus

Who Can Work On Campus?

  • You have a valid study permit
  • Your study permit states the proper employment condition (e.g. “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”, and
  • You are a full-time student at Bow Valley College program, NOT including ELL programs
  • You have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Note: You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin.


Frequently Asked Questions

There are no restrictions on the number of hours students can work on campus (as per R186(f)) in addition to working off campus, provided they continue to meet the applicable eligibility requirements.

Please refer to the guidelines mentioned on your immigration document and make sure you meet all the conditions listed.

On campus jobs are available at:

  • The cafeteria
  • Tim Hortons
  • The bookstore
  • Any other place in the campus college where you are studying

You can check the Learner Success Services Department and the Student's Association job board.

To apply you should contact the employer directly.

You are eligible to work on campus without a work permit (but with a study permit) if:

  • You're a full-time student at Bow Valley College
  • You're working at any number of jobs on campus (including working as research or teaching assistants at facilities off-campus in research related to research grants). These facilities could include teaching hospitals, clinics, research institutes, etc, that have a formal association or affiliation with the learning institution

Note: You need a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada. To apply for a SIN for on campus employment, you must have a valid study permit. You can apply for a SIN before or within the first three days of employment.



Check out the International Students Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to your questions.

Or get in touch by sending us a message to


Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy