Find out how to apply for a co-op work permit

If your program includes a work experience/practicum/co-op/clinical/preceptorship, it is strongly recommended to apply for co-op work permit at the same time as you apply for your initial study permit.

If your program includes a work experience/practicum/co-op/clinical/preceptorship and you are working in a health related field or working with children, you need to get a medical exam done by a designated physician.

You must hold a valid co-op permit before you start your practicum. We suggest applying several months before your start date. Check processing timelines.

Note: Your co-op work permit is not valid after the end date on your study permit.

Before you apply

Before you apply for your Co-op Work Permit, you need a confirmation letter. You can request a "co-op confirmation letter" from your program's contact.

Chiu School of Business

 Contact our Student Engagement Officers.

School of Health and Wellness
School of Community Studies

How to Apply

• Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website
- Create MyCIC account and follow the instructions.

• In person at a Visa Application Centre (VAC)
• By mail to the appropriate visa office

Download the paper application in the "Apply on paper" section of the IRCC website

Note for Early Childhood Education and Development students

You need to wait for your co-op work permit to start your program work experience. What if you don't have your permit? Contact the practicum instructor or coordinator. Please contact Poonam Dhami for more guidelines.

Frequently Asked Questions

International students would be required to hold a valid Co-op Work Permit. You could request it at the same time you apply for your study permit. You can read more details here.

The Off-Campus Work Permit and the co-op Work Permit are not the same type of document. Most international students are required to hold a valid co-op Work Permit at the moment they start their work experience. Read more about it here

It is illegal to work without the required work permit. 

International Learners Advisors

North Campus, N333 
345 - 6 Avenue SE

  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Fee Information
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy