Who can work off-campus?
  • You have a valid study permit
  • Your study permit states the proper employment condition
    e.g. “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”, AND
  • You are a full-time student at Bow Valley College program, NOT including ELL program
How many hours can you work off-campus per week?
  • Work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions once you have started your program of study
  • Work full-time during regularly scheduled breaks between academic sessions regardless of your course load

What’s regularly scheduled break?
To be considered a regularly scheduled break, the break must be part of the Bow Valley College calendar (e.g. winter and summer holidays, Reading Week). Each regularly scheduled break should not be longer than 150 days. The maximum cumulative duration of scheduled breaks is 180 days per calendar year. Regularly scheduled break at Bow Valley College varies depending on the programs and intakes. Please consult with International Learner Advisor to confirm if your program has a scheduled break. 

If you are in your final term

If you are in your final term of Bow Valley College program, regardless of your course load, you may work off-campus up to 20 hours/week until your letter of completion becomes available. Once you receive the letter of completion, you must stop working on your study permit immediately.

If you have completed a program and will be starting a new program within 150 days

You may work off campus on a full-time basis until the start of their new program if the following applies:

  • you meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus
  • you have received written confirmation of completion from your first program (e.g. a transcript or a completion letter)
  • you have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI

Frequently Asked Questions

Find out if you meet the criteria to work off campus here.

Co-op Work Permit only allows you to work in a practicum or internship that is part of your program curriculum.

To work off campus you need an Off Campus Work Permit. It is illegal to work without a required work permit. 

The number of hours you are allowed to work under the OCWP program depends on your current status. Please read the details here

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can qualify to apply for a SIN. Please click here to read about:

  • Eligibility criteria
  • Self-assessment tool
  • Confirmation from Citizen and Immigration Canada
  • Submit your Case Specific Inquiry 

Please refer to IRCC guidelines for Clarification between full-time versus part-time studies in the final session before graduation

Note: please review the conditions and remarks included in your study permit. 

If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Students who have applied to extend their stay in Canada as a student are required to cease working if their study permit application is refused.

 You need to meet certain criteria to be eligible to stay in Canada while you wait to begin another program (i.e. second certificate or diploma).
Please read the details here.

International Learner Advisors


Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy