- May 02, 2019
- August 29, 2019
- In Class
- Any-time Online
Applications for the August 2019 start date open May 14, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
- Get credits in a Bow Valley College post-secondary program.
- Explore programs at the College before you commit to one program.
- Take post-secondary courses while you take upgrading or English Language Learning courses.
- Enrol in courses that interest you without planning to apply to a certificate or diploma.
- Enrol as a visiting student (you are a visiting student if you study at another post-secondary institution).
Every term, we offer a selection of courses from our programs. Each of our schools determines which ones will be available. In rare cases, other courses may be available to learners, pending approval by the offering department. If you apply to a full time program and are accepted, the courses you've taken in Open Studies may be applied towards the completion of your program. We do not offer work placement courses, including practicums and co-op courses through Open Studies.
List of Open Studies Courses (PDF document will open in new window)
Spring/Summer 2019 Course Timetable (PDF document will open in new window)
How to Apply to Open Studies
How to apply and register
- Submit your application through ApplyAlberta. There is no application fee to apply to Open Studies.
- After 1-2 business days, you should receive a letter of admission by email. There are no admission requirements for Open Studies.
- After you're accepted, we will send you details about when course registration opens, and instructions on how to select courses through MyBVC.
The maximum number of credits that a student can take per term in Open Studies is 15. Click here for information on credit loads.
If you are registered in a Bow Valley College post-secondary certificate or diploma program, you can take Open Studies courses prior to your program start date to earn advanced credit.
Please contact the Academic Advising team at 403-410-3456 or email email@example.com for more information.
Each term, the Chiu School of Business, the School of Health and Wellness, the School of Community Studies, and the School of Creative Technologies select post-secondary credit courses to offer through Open Studies. A list of courses is available through our website prior to the start of application.
Course registration through Open Studies is on a first-come, first-registered basis, and the selection of courses is subject to change.
Once you are accepted into Open Studies, you can book an appointment and meet with one an Academic Advisor to go over the course list and find out what courses are transferable to your program.
You decide how many courses you want to take each term. You can take up to 15 credits per semester. Nine credits is considered to be a full-time course load.
You may be eligible to apply for a student loan to help out with tuition and book costs. For more information about financial aid, please see the Bow Valley College Financial Aid page.
No. Open Studies is not a program and does not have a certificate or diploma exit. You can apply to one of our career programs and use Open Studies courses to earn credit towards a certificate or diploma once you have graduated from your selected career program.
No. You may, however, be able to transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions to Bow Valley College career programs.
There is no application fee for Open Studies. There is also no confirmation fee.
Yes, you do. You have to apply and be accepted into Open Studies before you are allowed to register into courses.
The courses you take through Open Studies are used to earn you advanced credit towards a certificate or diploma program. You must still apply, meet the admission requirements, and be accepted into your program of choice.
You should speak to an academic advisor about which courses can be taken to earn advanced credit towawrds a Bow Valley College certificate or diploma program.