- In Class
- Any-time Online
Open Studies is available only for domestic learners.
If you plan to take Open Studies at one of our regional campuses, apply here.
Open Studies at Bow Valley College
Through Open Studies at Bow Valley College, you can take a post-secondary level course or courses and end up with academic credits.
There is no application fee. Student fees apply.
Is Open Studies what I'm looking for?You have been thinking about post-secondary education but are unsure which program to take:
- Enroll in a course or courses that look interesting to see what the right fit for you might be
- Courses could spark your interest, helping you settle on a diploma or certificate program
- Use the credits you earn through Open Studies towards the diploma or certificate program you will be taking
Successful completion of an Open Studies course could allow you to skip the program pre-requisite needed for admission.You have finished high school and want to take some courses before enrolling in a diploma or certificate program:
- Bow Valley College Open Studies courses will provide you with an opportunity to experience a post-secondary course and receive credit
- Build your skills for a new job or a promotion
- An Open Studies course adds to one's resume and job profile
- Lifelong learners can expand their knowledge in areas they want to know more about
- If you are a learner who receives funding, you may be able to apply this funding to an Open Studies course
You have the freedom of taking one Open Studies course at a time while earning Bow Valley College credits. You could use those credits to continue your journey and earn a diploma or certificate.
Want to sign up but are you unsure if the course is the right fit for your skill level? There are no admission requirements. However, you are more likely to be successful in Open Studies courses with an English language proficiency level appropriate for the program you are interested in taking.
Please see the English language proficiency requirements page for more information.
The great news is, there is no application fee!Students will need to pay student fees which will go to/cover:
- The Students' Association of Bow Valley College (SABVC)
- Health and dental coverage
You decide how many courses you want to take each term. You can take up to 15 credits per term. Nine credits is considered to be a full-time course load.
No. Open Studies is not a program and does not have a certificate or diploma exit.
No. You may, however, be able to transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions to Bow Valley College post-secondary programs.
There is no application fee. You will be charged student fees for SABVC and health and dental coverage.
The courses you take through Open Studies are used as an admissions pathway to a certificate or diploma program. You must still apply, meet the admission requirements, and be accepted into your program of choice.
You should contact the Welcome Centre at 403-410-1402 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about about which courses can be used as an admissions pathway towards a Bow Valley College certificate or diploma program.