- January 08 2018
- May 03 2018
- In Class
- Any-time Online
Applications will be accepted for Winter 2018 beginning September 12 2017.
- Get credits in a Bow Valley College post-secondary program.
- Explore programs at the College before you commit to one program.
- Take post-secondary courses while you take upgrading or English Language Learning courses.
- Enrol in courses that interest you without planning to apply to a certificate or diploma.
- Enrol as a visiting student (you are a visiting student if you study at another post-secondary institution).
Click here for the list of courses available for the Spring-Summer 2018 term (subject to change).
English language requirements
|Course or certification||Minimum grade required|
|IELTS: Academic||6 with minimum band score of 5.5|
|Academic English 1 (Bow Valley College course)||Not applicable|
|Academic English 2||B-|
|Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) / Milestones Test||8 in each strand|
The following are also acceptable:
- Completion of an Alberta Education grade 12 English Language Arts course – credit (50%) in English 30-1 or minimum 65% in English 30-2 or equivalent
- Transcripts that show you have completed three years of full-time secondary education at a school where courses were taught in English
- Transcripts demonstrating successful completion of one year of full-time post-secondary education at a school where courses were taught in English
About IELTS, TOEFL, and CLB (the English proficiency tests)
- What is IELTS - Academic (International English Language Testing System)?
- What is TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)?
- What is the CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) test?
CLB, IELTS (Academic), and TOEFL results are valid for two years from the day of testing. Results that expire prior to the start date of the program cannot be accepted. Official results must be submitted.
- Submit your application here.
- Submit official transcripts or proof of English language proficiency (see English language requirements above).
How to register
Once you have been accepted into Open Studies, registration is available via MyBVC. If you are eligible to register, you will be sent an email with details outlining when registration opens for your program of study. Please check your MyBVC email regularly, as that is one place where the College will send formal communications.
The maximum number of credits that a student can take per term in Open Studies is 15. Click here for information on credit loads.
If you are registered in a Bow Valley College post-secondary certificate or diploma program, you can take Open Studies courses in your program of study.
Please contact the Academic Advising team at 403-410-3456 or email email@example.com for more information.
Each term, the Chiu School of Business, the School of Health and Wellness, the School of Community Studies, and the School of Creative Technologies select post-secondary credit courses to offer through Open Studies. A list of courses is available through our website prior to the start of application.
Course registration through Open Studies is on a first-come, first-registered basis, and the selection of courses is subject to change.
Once you are accepted into Open Studies, you can book an appointment and meet with one an Academic Advisor to go over the course list and find out what courses are transferable to your program.
You decide how many courses you want to take each term. You can to take up to 15 credits per semester. Nine credits is considered to be a full-time load.
You may be eligible to apply for a student loan to help out with tuition and book costs. For more information about financial aid, please see the Bow Valley College Financial Aid page.
No. Open Studies is not a program and does not have a certificate or diploma exit. You can apply to one of our career programs and use Open Studies courses to receive a certificate or diploma once you have graduated from your selected career program.
No, you may be able to transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions to Bow Valley College career programs but not to Open Studies.
There is no application fee to apply for the 2017-2018 academic year Open Studies. There is also no confirmation fee.
Yes, you do. You have to apply and be accepted into Open Studies before you are allowed to register into courses.
The courses you take through Open Studies are used to grant you advanced standing towards your program of choice. You must still apply and be accepted into your program of choice.
You should speak to an academic advisor about courses taken towards a Bow Valley College certificate or diploma program.
Please visit the full-time course credits pages for details for each program.