- January 07 2019
- In Class
- Home Study
We are no longer accepting applications to the January 7, 2019 intake.
The Home Study portion of this program refers to exam preparation at the beginning. Required courses are taken in-class.
You will begin with a semester of workshops, self study and exams to show your nursing knowledge gained from past nursing programs and experience. Your goal is to pass at least seven out of 15 subjects challenged. Once that goal is reached, you will join the main program to take the rest of the subjects required.
The length of time (eight to 16 months) and the cost of your program will depend on how well you do in that first semester.
As an internationally educated nurse in the Practical Nurse program you are required to write the Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES) assessment soon after you join the main Practical Nurse program.
International students are advised to consider the Practical Nurse program.
When you graduate, you’ll be eligible to become licensed with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta if you pass of the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam.
There are many opportunities for continued studies after your graduate. A few of these are:
- Athabasca University – Post-LPN Bachelor of Nursing Degree Program
- Thompson Rivers University Open Learning Division – Bachelor of Health Science (57 credits) and Bachelor of General Studies (60 credits)
- University of Calgary – graduates of two-year Bow Valley College diploma programs will be awarded up to five full course junior open options
- University of Lethbridge – Post-Diploma Bachelor of Health Sciences – Public Health
The cost of completing exam preparation workshops and challenge exams is roughly C$1,050 (subject to change). The cost of completing the remainder of the program depends heavily on the challenge exam results, which determine how many courses will need to be completed. Refer to the course fee chart for individual course tuitions. Additional expenses will include textbooks, learning materials, lab kits, and police information check fees.
Application ChecklistApplicants must apply to the Practical Nursing Internationally Educated Nurses Pathway program online.The following documents must be submitted along with the application:
- RN License
- Detailed high school transcripts*
- Detailed nursing school transcripts*
- Proof of meeting the English language proficiency requirements
The courses you will challenge are listed below:
- Anatomy and Physiology (ANAT1101)
- Adult Health Assessment (NURS1201)
- Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan (PSYC1201)
- Mathematical Principles of Medication Administration (NURS1301)
- Applied Pharmacology (NURS1102)
- Pathophysiology (NURS1103)
- Nursing Arts (NURS1101)
- Nursing Foundations 1 (NURS1202)
- Nursing Foundations 2 (NURS1203)
- Nursing Foundations 3 (NURS2204)
- Maternity Nursing (NURS2501)
- Pediatric Nursing (NURS2502)
- Mental Health Nursing (NURS2503)
- Community Nursing (NURS2504)
- Health Education: Personal Health And Wellness (NURS1302)
The courses you must take at Bow Valley College include:
- any course in which the passing grade was not achieved;
- Interpersonal Relationships and Communication (COMM1101);
- English Composition (ENGL1201);
- Sociology of Ageing (SOCI1301);
- Nursing Trends and Issues (NURS2303);
- Clinical Experience – Medical/Surgical (NURS2402); and
- Professional Preceptorship (NURS2995).
- Proof of Registered Nurse (RN) licensure
- Proof of graduation from a recognized registered nurse program
- Minimum final mark of 60% in English 30-1 or 70% in English 30-2 or equivalent
- Credit in Math 20-1 or a minimum final mark of 60% in Math 20-2 or equivalent
- Minimum final mark of 60% in Biology 30 or 60% in Anatomy and Physiology (ANAT1101) at Bow Valley College or equivalent
English language proficiency requirements
- See English language proficiency requirements for details.
Students who do not meet the following requirements before the first day of clinical will not be allowed to participate in clinical placements under any circumstances:
- CPR Healthcare Provider Level Certificate must be updated every 12 months.
- Bow Valley College requires that practical nurse learners have a current Police Information Check (PIC). PICs are valid for the duration of the PN Program. Learners are responsible for informing the School of Health and Wellness if there are changes to their PICs during the PN Program. The Police Information Check must be dated no earlier than ninety (90) days prior to the start of the Practical Nurse program.
- Immunization requirements: Details about immunizations are provided after being accepted into a health care program. Up-to-date immunizations are valid for the duration of the program.
Notes regarding ANAT1101