Develop an awareness of the basic skills needed to interact and work more effectively with others from diverse backgrounds. Understand how culture influences your own values and preferences for behavioural norms. Explore your own mindset and worldview and develop strategies for checking assumptions. Gain insight about important cultural frameworks and other worldviews.
This is the first course in the Intercultural Competencies for Leaders Certificate (non-credit) Program. It provides the foundation for the program. It is recommended that participants complete this course before signing up for Intercultural Competence 2 (IIAD9102).
The course is completely online and has a peer-learning focus. Course completion is based on active participation in discussion board forums, and the submission of a final assignment and quiz. The time commitment is typically twelve hours.
This course is part of the Intercultural Competencies for Leaders Certificate Program. The program is essential for anyone working in a diverse workplace. It helps develop a global perspective and mindset and offers useful tools to build intercultural sensitivity and enhance intercultural communication skills.
You need to complete four courses to earn the certificate. Course 1 (IIAD9101) and Course 2 (IIAD9102) are building-block courses for this certificate. We recommend learners take these two courses first.
You must complete all requirements and achieve at least 65 per cent on the final quiz to pass this course.
Approved Continuing Professional Development (CPD) by Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) Alberta.
A course delivery mode where learning activity takes place at times and locations of the learners own choosing through the use of online communications technologies. Learners are NOT required to participate in any scheduled learning activities, but scheduled exams may be required.
Required course for:
- HRES9101 Organizational Development
- HRES9201 Human Resources Management
- HRES9202 Talent Acquisition
- HRES9203 Strategic Compensation
- HRES9303 Payroll Legislation and Employment Standards
- IIAD9102 Intercultural Competence 2
- IIAD9201 Supervisory Skills in Intercultural Teams
- IIAD9301 Indigenous Awareness: Engaging Diversity and Inclusion
- IIAD9401 Developing a Global Mindset
- MGMT9101 Change Management Essentials
- MGMT9102 Introduction to Performance Management
- MGMT9103 Advanced Performance Management
- MGMT9104 Critical and Productive Strategies
- MGMT9105 Workplace Complexities
- MGMT9106 Building High Performance Teams