Quick Exit

Book an Appointment Get Help Give Support Learn Events/Training

Students who have experienced sexual violence

If you have been impacted by sexual violence, we believe you and it is not your fault. Everyone responds to sexual violence, accesses supports, and heals in their own way.

There are supports available that you can choose to access.

The Sexual Violence Response Advisor is available to listen, provide support, and help explore and connect to options.

The Sexual Violence Response Advisor can:

  • Provide a space to listen and talk
  • Discuss any safety concerns
  • Explore academic accommodations options
  • Provide information and help connect to campus and community resources (e.g. counselling, medical).
  • Help you understand and navigate formal reporting options on- and off-campus.
  • Can assist and support those who are supporting someone impacted by sexual violence.

The experience of sexual violence may be connected to the College or have occurred off-campus or online.

Whether the sexual violence happened recently or in the past, there is no time limit on when you can access support from the Advisor.

You are not required to make a formal report to the College in order to access support.

There are a number of supports, both on- and off-campus that are available if you or someone you know have been impacted by sexual violence.

If you are in immediate danger, or are in an imminent life-threatening situation, call 911.

Sexual Violence Response Advisor

Phone: 587-393-3124
Email: svra@bowvalleycollege.ca  

Learner Success Services – 1st Floor, South Campus

The Sexual Violence Response Advisor provides confidential support and care for any Bow Valley College students impacted by sexual violence, whether it occurred on- or off-campus, or before you became a student at BVC.

When you meet with the Advisor, you can choose to receive help with:

  • Having a space to listen and talk
  • Discussing any safety concerns and safety planning
  • Exploring and navigating academic accommodations options
  • Information and help connecting to campus and community resources (e.g. counselling, medical).
  • Assistance in understanding and navigating formal reporting options on- and off-campus.
  • Accompaniment to appointments (e.g. medical, police, College reporting).

Bow Valley College Counsellors

Phone: 403-410-1440 Email: counselling@bowvalleycollege.ca

Learner Success Services- 1st Floor, South Campus

You can talk about your concerns or problems in a private and confidential setting. Our counsellors have a variety of backgrounds and experience. We are trained to work with all kinds of issues.

Learn more about counselling

Campus Security

Phone: 403-410-1713
Campus Security Desk
1st floor, North Campus

If help is needed in non-emergencies, Security can be contacted.

Safe Walk

Phone:  403-410-1713
Campus Security Desk
1st floor, North Campus

Anyone can use the Safe Walk program if they do not feel safe.  Campus Security can walk with a student to a location, like a classroom. Security can walk a student to places within 2 blocks of the campus, like a C-train station or a parking lot.

Learn more about Safe Walk

Alberta's One Line for Sexual Violence

Phone (call or text): 1-866-403-8000 (toll free) Chat: www.aasas.ca

One Line is an Alberta-wide text, call, text, and chat service staffed by specialized responders from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. Responders will listen, provide support and information, and share resources for anyone impacted by sexual violence. Services are anonymous and are available in more than 200 languages.

The Distress Centre Calgary

Phone: 403-266-4357

The Distress Centre Calgary is a 24-hour crisis line that can offer immediate, confidential support.

24-Hour Family Violence Support Helpline

Phone: 1-866-606-7233 (SAFE) – toll-free

The Family Violence Support Helpline counsellors answer the phone 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. They provide counselling, safety planning, referrals and information in multiple languages.

Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse

Phone: 1-877-237-5888 (toll free)

Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse (CCASA) provide various services including immediate crisis support and counselling. CCASA gives free and confidential counselling to people who have been impacted by sexual violence.

Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team (CSART)

Phone: 403-955-6030

Sheldon Chumir Health Centre: 1213 4 St SW, Calgary, AB

CSART provides 24-hour specialized care for anyone who has been sexually assaulted, including a comprehensive examination, treatment of injuries and collection of forensic evidence within 168 hours (7 days) of assault.

Health Link (8-1-1)
Phone: 8-1-1

Health Link can help people find a doctor. They can answer many health questions over the phone.

Centre for Sexuality

Phone: 403-283-5580

The Centre for Sexuality delivers programs and services around sexual health, sexual identity, gender orientation and sexuality. The centre offers a safe space and support for members of the LGBTQ2S+ community and allies.

Skipping Stone Foundation

Phone: 587-333-4342

The Skipping Stone Foundation supports and empowers trans and gender diverse youth and their families through mental health support, peer support, community building events and medical transition related services.

Calgary Outlink

Phone: 403-234-8973

Calgary Outlink is a welcoming space that provides support, education, outreach and referrals for the LGBTQ2S+ and allied community.

Centre for Newcomers: LGBTQ+ Newcomer Support

Phone: 403.569.3325

The LGBTQ+ Newcomer Support provides one-on-one support services, group supports, information, referrals, and settlement advice. For people with permanent residency they offer ‘The Newcomers Settlement Support Program,’ and for refugee claimants and LGBTQ+ people with any other status in Canada, the ‘Alberta LGBTQ+ Newcomers Program’ can assist you.

Should you choose, there are formal reporting options available, both on-campus and off. To make a disclosure, file a formal report, or talk through the options available to you, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advisor for support and guidance at 587-393-3124 or svra@bowvalleycollege.ca.

Reporting to the College

Bow Valley College is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and positive space where College community members feel able to work, learn, and express themselves in an environment free from sexual violence. The Sexual Violence Policy (500-1-19) ensures that the College has a process of investigation that protects the rights of individuals and that individuals who have committed an act of sexual violence are held accountable.

A formal report can be made to Bow Valley College when sexual violence happens and there is a connection to the College.

When a formal report is submitted, the College will take action and investigate. "Take action" means that the College will talk to other people involved with your permission. Click to view the flowchart and processto learn about what happens once a Formal Report is submitted. The Learner Conduct Officer is responsible for receiving and responding to formal complaints regarding the Sexual Violence Policy. Filing a formal report may trigger an on-campus investigation.

Reports and identities are confidential. "Confidential" means that this information will only be told to people who need to know.

You can choose to make a formal report:

Option to report anonymously or as a third-party online*.

An anonymous formal report is one that is made where you are not required to provide information about your identity (e.g., name). A third-party formal report is a formal report submitted on behalf of the person who experienced sexual violence. A third-party can be a witness, peer, or employee. *Anonymous and third-party formal reports may limit the ability of the College to investigate and respond to the formal report.

The Sexual Violence Response Advisor can also help guide you through your reporting options, what each one means and entails, and can attend meetings with you as a support. Contact the Sexual Violence Support Advisor at 587-393-3124 or svra@bowvalleycollege.ca.

Reporting to the Police

A student can choose to make a report to the police about sexual violence through the Calgary Police Service or a local law enforcement agency (e.g. RCMP).

Emergencies where there is immediate danger or a suspect is in the area.  Call 9-1-1.

For Non-emergency Reports

Within Calgary:  Calgary Police Service: 403-266-1234

Outside Calgary: A report can be made to the local RCMP office if it is not an emergency. Locate the nearest RCMP Office 

For information or support in filing a police report, contact the Sexual Violence Support Advisor at 587-393-3124 or svra@bowvalleycollege.ca.

Contact us

Learner Success Services

345 – 6 Avenue SE
First floor, South building Campus
Follow us on Twitter

Learner Success Services Office is only available online at the moment. 

Regular Hours
September 1 - April 28 
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.

Summer Hours
April 29 to August 31
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses


  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Additional Fees Apply
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy