COVID-19 supplementary information
If you are thinking of withdrawing from your courses or program because of COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, here is what you need to know:
Deadline for credit course and program refunds
Refunds only apply to courses or programs for which students have notified the College of cancelling, dropping, or withdrawing from the course or program on or before the drop deadline. Check your MyBVC portal for drop and withdrawal dates specific to each course.
- The following fees are 100% refundable if notification is received by the drop deadline:
- Materials fee
- Student services fee
- Students' Association fee
- Students' Association health and dental fee
Please note that after the drop deadline, no refunds will be issued. For more information, please refer to the Learner Financial Accounts Policy and the Learner Financial Accounts Procedure.
Deadline for Continuing Education and other non-credit course refunds
- If the course is one or two days in duration, the Office of the Registrar must be notified of withdrawal prior to the first day of classes by the day before the course session in order to be eligible for a refund.
- If the course is longer than two days in duration, the Office of the Registrar must be notified by the end of the first day of class.
- Eligible refunds will result in a 100% refund.
Refunds for cancelled courses
Any courses cancelled by Bow Valley College will result in a 100% refund.
- Outstanding fees are deducted from the total refund amount. If the amount outstanding is greater than the refund amount, no refund payment will be made to the student.
- Refunds are based on refund guidelines and fee schedules.
- For approved refunds, payments are issued within two to four weeks of notification of cancellation, drop, or withdrawal.
Refunds for Domestic Learners
- Tuition and fees paid by credit card will be processed back to the original card that was used to pay. If we're unable to refund to that credit card, we will issue the refunds by cheque to you (the learner).
- All payments made by cash, debit, or direct banking will be refunded by cheque to you (the learner).
- Payments made by student loans, Alberta Works, or other agencies are refunded on a case by case basis per the funder’s policy.
Refunds for International Learners
The intent of this process is to comply with immigration and anti-money laundering guidelines and legislation.
All refunds are in Canadian dollars. The college does not assume responsibility for the impact of foreign currency exchange, bank fees or related matters outside our control. All eligible refundable fees will be issued to the same credit card with which fees were paid. Please consider this when using a credit card for payment, this includes if someone is paying on your behalf. If paying with a pre-paid credit card, it is important to keep that card in the case a refund is due. For fees paid through wire transfer, refunds will be issued via wire transfer for applicants outside of Canada and via cheque for applicants within Canada. Check the International Refund policy.
- NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE FEES
Application Fee: $130
Confirmation Fee (International Students): $1500
Former and Current Students:
- Tuition and fees paid by credit card will be processed back to the original card that was used to pay. If we're unable to refund to that credit card, we will issue the refunds by cheque (within Canada) or wire transfer (outside Canada) to you (the learner).
- If the learner is in Canada, refunds will be issued by cheque for payments made by cash, cheque, money order, debit (Interac), or online banking (from a Canadian bank).
- If the learner is no longer in Canada, refunds will be issued by wire transfer for payments made by cash, cheque, money order, debit (Interac), or online banking (from a Canadian bank).
Students who Never Attended:
- Tuition and fees paid by credit card will be processed back to the original card that was used to pay. If we're unable to refund to that credit card, we will issue the refund by cheque to any publicly accredited post-secondary institution that you may be attending (within Canada), or by wire transfer to you, the learner (outside Canada)
- All payments made by cash, debit or direct banking will be refunded by cheque to any publicly accredited post-secondary institution that you may be attending (within Canada), or by wire transfer to you, the learner (outside Canada)
- To verify the publicly accredited post-secondary institution that you will be attending, please provide a copy of your Letter of Admissions (or a similar document) with your refund request.
Bow Valley College does not issue cheque or wire transfer refunds to third parties.
Outstanding fees or accounts
Students are expected to pay all tuition and fees that are owing. Failure to pay outstanding amounts may result in the following:
- Student will be sent an overdue notice to pay any outstanding fees.
- Student will be suspended from attending classes, having work graded by the instructor, taking exams, and other course-related activities. If the student promptly pays the fees, the suspension will be lifted. Final course marks may be impacted by a suspension due to missed or late assignments or exams.
- Student will be withdrawn from the program or course.
- Student will not be allowed to graduate or attend the graduation ceremony.
- Student will be prevented from being registered in future courses or programs.
- The College will not issue transcripts, certificates, or diplomas for the student.
- Outstanding fees will be sent to a collection agency.
Health and Dental Opt-out Refunds
All new full-time students in qualified programs are automatically registered to the Health and Dental Benefits Plan. Programs that are not eligible include English Language Learning programs, Academic Upgrading, and Continuing Education.
To start the opt-out process, please visit https://www.mystudentplan.ca/bowvalley/en/home and follow the directions provided. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation letter that your request has been received. This does not mean that you have already been approved, and you will not immediately receive a credit in your account. Your request will be processed, and this may take up to 4 weeks AFTER the opt-out deadline. Due to this process taking some time, we highly advise you to pay the health and dental fees in order to avoid any overdue penalties.
Once your opt-out request has been approved, a waiver will be placed in your file and you will be credited the health and dental payment. This will be processed as outlined in our refund policy.
For any questions or concerns regarding the opt-out process, please contact the Health and Dental Office at 403-410-1696 or email@example.com