Get credit for courses you've completed at other colleges or universities (some exceptions apply). Bow Valley College can grant transfer credit in the following cases:

  • When you are accepted as a new student to a Bow Valley College career program
  • When you complete credit courses at Bow Valley College, and enter a new program

Steps for applying for transfer credit:

  1. Fill out and submit a Request for Transfer Credit form to the Office of the Registrar. Bring the form to the front counter of the Office of the Registrar or email it to in a PDF (Adobe) format.  There is no fee to apply for transfer credit.

  2. You may need to provide course outlines for the courses you would like considered for transfer credit. Outlines should show the course credit value, weight of exams and assignments, textbooks used, assignments given, and the overall outcomes of the courses. We cannot accept course descriptions written by students.

  3. We will review the transfer credit request once you have been given an offer of admissions (accepted) to a program and once all the required documents (i.e. official post-secondary transcripts, and/or course outlines, letters of employment, etc.) are submitted. NOTE: For internationally-educated students, be sure that you submitted the attested (authenticated) post-secondary transcripts and/or confirmation of results from your home country so we can proceed with the review of the transfer credit or recognition of prior learning.

  4. We cannot consider non-credit courses for transfer credit.

  5. Applications for transfer credit along with required supporting documents (official or attested transcripts, course outlines) can be received until the add/drop deadline for each term. If you are requesting transfer credit for a large number of courses that require a course outline review, you should submit your transfer application as early as possible to allow time for the review to take place.

  6. You will need official transcripts showing final grades on any courses you're applying to by the start date of the term you're applying for. If the transcript submitted shows “In Progress, or Enrolled” by the start date of the term on the courses being reviewed, your request will be denied.


External transfer credit: Courses competed at another institution which are assessed as equivalent to a Bow Valley College course. A transfer credit (TC) grade will show in place of the course on the student transcript.

Prior Learning Assessment Recognition (PLAR): Students can take a challenge exam to receive credit for the respective course(s). A prior learning (PL) grade will show in place of the course that was assessed and successfully completed. 

Students who are registered in the Practical Nurse program and fully qualified as health care aide can receive PLAR for three courses: COMM1101, NURS1202, and NURS1302*. Students will need to submit official transcript from a recognized post-secondary institution showing successful completion of health care aide certificate and at least 1,900 verified work hours from their employer.

*Please note that NURS1302 will be discontinued effective Fall 2019.

Things to consider

  • Transfer credit approval is never guaranteed, and the assessment process takes a minimum of six to eight weeks to complete.
  • Course content sent in for a transfer credit assessment must match at least 80% of the respective Bow Valley College course in order to receive transfer credit. You will be required to attend the class you're seeking to get transfer credit for until your request is approved.
  • Regardless of transfer credit approval, you're required to complete a minimum of 25% of your program at Bow Valley College in order to earn a Bow Valley College certificate or diploma.
  • Only courses completed with a minimum mark of 'C' will be considered for transfer credit. For some programs, the minimum mark can be higher than a 'C'.
  • Please note that all courses are under time limitations, which are specific to each course and program. This means that courses you're seeking transfer credit for must have been completed within a certain period prior to credit being granted; that period varies for each course and program. The transfer credit and PLAR officer will provide information specific to your situation once you've submitted a transfer credit request. For detailed time limitation information by course type, check Appendix I of the 500-1-9 Transfer Credit Procedures document.
  • For credit granted, refunds will be processed by the student accounts department and will be returned in the same method of payment the tuition was originally paid with.
  • In some cases, approved transfer credit can drop you to part-time status (click here for more information). It is your responsibility to confirm how many credits you need to remain as a full-time student if you have a student loan or a Temporary Foreign Resident – student work permit.
  • If you are denied transfer credit, you may appeal the decision by writing to Assistant Registrar for Admissions, Testing, and Enrolment Services. The appeal must explain why an exception should be made, despite the transfer credit policies that exist. The Assistant Registrar's decision is final.
  • PLAR fees are non-refundable. The process for PLAR starts at the Department level.  The School (of Business, Health & Wellness, Community Studies, and Creative Technologies) will determine if you are eligible to do a prior learning/challenge exam.
  • All documents submitted for transfer credit evaluation and prior learning become the property of the College and will not be returned; if original documents must be kept by the student, certified copies of the originals can be submitted. In addition, it is your responsibility to have any supporting documents (such as transcripts) translated before being submitted for evaluation.

Other resources (Online Alberta Transfer Guide)

Campus Alberta (Business Administration) Pathway:

If you are given an offer of acceptance to the Business Administration (Certificate and Diploma) programs at Bow Valley College, you may be eligible for advance standing if you have have completed Business Administration coursework at any of the Campus Alberta partners within the last four (4) years. 

Campus Alberta partners are: Grande Prairie Regional College, Keyano College, Lakeland College, Lethbridge College, MacEwan University, Medicine Hat College, NAIT, Norquest College, Northern Lakes College, Olds College, Portage College, Red Deer College, SAIT and Athabasca University.

Please contact a Student Engagement Officer (SEO) in the Chiu School of Business for more information. You may also email Transfer Credit ( if you have questions about this pathway initiative.

Need more information?

Send us an email at

Contact us

Client Services

South Campus, First Floor
345 - 6 Avenue SE

Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The College is closed on statutory holidays.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses