Admissions and Placement Testing FAQs
How long is the test?
Applicants are given three (3) hours to complete the test. If an applicant requires additional time beyond the 3 hours, they may be required to complete the test in two sittings.
Am I allowed bring a calculator or dictionary?
No, outside resources such as calculators and dictionaries are not permitted on the test.
How can I prepare for the test?
The Admissions and Placement tests use Accuplacer testing software. The Next-Generation Accuplacer test includes the following sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- WritePlacer Essay
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics
If you are completing the English portion, you should review basic essay structure and thesis statements.
What is the passing score?
- For Academic Upgrading the placement test is NOT pass/fail – it is simply an opportunity to see where your skills are at so that we can place you into appropriate level classes to start your upgrading. If English is not your first language, we may recommend that you enter our English Language Learning program to improve your English skill before pursuing upgrading.
- For Career programs the purpose of the admissions test is to demonstrate that you meet the academic requirements of the program you have applied for. For example, if you have applied to a program that requires English 30 and Math 30 your English and Math test results should show that you have the reading/writing and math skills developed in those high school courses.
If you live beyond a 1-hour drive of a Bow Valley College campus, you have the option to complete the admissions test within your community with a suitable proctor.
Please note that exams can only be proctored within Canada.
Admissions Test - Proctor Request Form (Document will open in new tab. This form can only be used for Placement/Admissions testing.)
- If you have applied to Academic Upgrading you will receive your course placement and “Next Steps” by email, 3 – 5 business days after completing the test.
- If you have applied to a career program, our Admissions department will send you an official response by email 2 – 3 weeks after you complete the test.
Test results are valid for 2 years, and are only applicable at Bow Valley College.
I wasn’t successful on the Admissions test, can I retake it?
You are required to wait a minimum of 3 months before you can retake the Admissions test. Provided the program you have applied for has not started yet, you may retake the test after the 3-month period. If the program has started, you will be required to submit a new application and application fee prior to re- testing.
If you have a documented disability and require additional resources such as a reader or scribe, please make an appointment with an Accessibility Advisor in our Learner Success Services department. Learner Success Services is located on the first floor of the South Campus, 345 6th Ave SE, or they can be reached by phone at 403-410-1440.
Please note, the Testing Centre is able to accommodate learners who require accessible furniture or additional time to complete testing. If you would like to discuss further, you can contact the Test Officer at 403-410-1735.