Book an on-campus test with easy steps
- You are required to apply to a program at Bow Valley College before you are eligible to book a test. If you have not applied, check our available programs, application guide, or contact our Welcome Centre.
- To book your Admissions or Placement test online, visit www.bowvalleycollege.ca/admissionstest
- Fill in the fields to identify your course/program, exam date/time, and your personal information.
- Read Exam Guideline Acknowledgements, check the box to verify you understand. Fill in Additional Required information and click Add to Cart. A new screen will appear. Click the Complete Registration button or add another exam.
- You will receive a confirmation on screen and also by email with special instructions and test location details.
- Expect a reminder email 24 hours before your test. This reminder will also include information on how to cancel or reschedule.
For information on online testing, please see below.
Preparing for the test
Applicants are given three (3) hours to complete the test. If an applicant requires additional time beyond the 3 hours, they may be required to complete the test in multiple sittings.
No, outside resources such as calculators and dictionaries are not permitted on the test.
The Admissions and Placement tests use Accuplacer testing software. The Next-Generation Accuplacer test includes the following sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- WritePlacer Essay
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics
You can find additional information on the test, as well as practice questions on the College Board website. If you are completing the English portion, you should review basic essay structure and thesis statements.
The placement test is NOT pass/fail – it is simply an opportunity to see where your skills are at so that we can place you into appropriate level classes to start your upgrading. If English is not your first language, we may recommend that you enter our English Language Learning program to improve your English skill before pursuing upgrading.
The purpose of the admissions test is to demonstrate that you meet the academic requirements of the program you have applied for. For example, if you have applied to a program that requires English 30 and Math 30 your English and Math test results should show that you have the reading/writing and math skills developed in those high school courses.If you have a documented disability and require additional resources in testing, please review the information below.
If you have applied to Academic Upgrading you will receive your course placement by email, 5–7 business days after completing the test.
If you have applied to a post-secondary program, our Admissions department will send you an official response by email 2–3 weeks after you complete the test.
Test results are valid for 2 years, and are only applicable at Bow Valley College.
You are required to wait a minimum of 3 months before you can retake the Admissions test. Provided the program you have applied for has not started yet, you may retake the test after the 3-month period. If the program has started, you will be required to submit a new application and application fee prior to re- testing.
Learners with disabilities
If you are unable to test on-campus, you have the option of completing the test through a virtual proctoring service called Examity.
In order to test through Examity, you will need valid government issued photo ID and a computer that meets the technical requirements outlined on the Examity website. Please be advised the applicant will be responsible for covering any fees required to test virtually, please refer to their website for information on cost.
If you would like to complete your test via Examity, please click the orange button below and complete the request form.