• Print
  • Share

Alberta Works Grant Funding

Students who have been accepted into one of the following Bow Valley College programs may wish to apply for Alberta Works grant funding. If you are not already a student at Bow Valley College, you must apply first.

  • Upgrading / high school classes (full-time or part-time)
  • Full-time English Language Learning or English for Academic Purposes (does not apply to LINC classes)
  • Corporate Readiness Training Program

Alberta Works Grant funding provides financial support for adult residents of Alberta who are unemployed or marginally employed, have financial need, and require skills training to find sustainable full-time employment. You must be ready, willing, and able to attend school. NOTE: If you are interested in applying for funding, you should apply for admission to Bow Valley College at least 3 months before classes start.

Applying for Alberta Works funding

Applying for Alberta Works Funding can be a complex process. Students are encouraged to read the information below carefully before starting their application.

Important Information for Bow Valley College students

Deadline to apply

You must apply for funding at least 2 months before classes start.  

Training Start and End Dates

When filling out your Alberta Works funding application, make sure you use the correct Training Start Date and Training End Date. Any errors might cause a delay in processing your application.

Number of terms Training Start Date   
Training End Date
Applying for funding for 1 term (Fall term only) August 30, 2017     December 19, 2017  
Applying for funding for 2 terms (Fall and Winter term) August 30, 2017   April 26, 2018
Applying for funding for 3 terms (Fall, Winter and Spring term)    August 30, 2017   August 22, 2018

Training Provider Information (TPI) Form

You will need to request a Training Provider Information (TPI) form from Bow Valley College to send in with your Alberta Works funding application.

  • Information about how to request a Training Provider Information (TPI) form will be sent to your myBVC email.
  • In order to qualify for a Training Provider Information (TPI) form, students must be accepted into an eligible program.
  • Bow Valley College will start issuing TPI forms to eligible students on Monday, May 15, 2017 at 8 a.m.
  • To request a TPI Form, please go to the Front Counter of the Office of the Registrar on the main floor of South Campus (next to Tim Horton's). Please bring photo identification.
  • Students are encouraged to request their TPI as early as possible. Funding and course registration is limited.


  • You must send the signed TPI form to Alberta Works with your funding application. Your Alberta Works funding application will not be processed if you do not send this form.
  • Before mailing your Funding Application and TPI form, you should check to make sure the Training Start Dates and Training End Dates are the same on both forms. If you make a mistake, it will take longer for Alberta Works to process your application.

Filling out an application

Alberta Works full-time and part-time funding applications and information can be found online on the Alberta Works website.  Students can print off a copy of the Alberta Works application form or apply online.

Getting help with your application

  • Please fill out as much of the funding application form as possible. If have questions or need help completing your form, call 1-877-644-9992 (toll-free in Alberta) or visit an Alberta Works Service Centre for help. Bow Valley College cannot help students fill out their application for Alberta Works Funding.
  • If you are currently employed and you are interested in applying for full-time funding, please contact an Alberta Works Service Centre  for more information about whether or not you might require a Counsel to Leave Employment.

After you have applied

Find out if you have been approved

Alberta Works will normally send you a letter about the status of your application approximately 6 to 8 weeks after you have applied.

  • If you have not received a Funding Decision letter from Alberta Works within 8 weeks and you would like to know the status of your application, contact the Learner Income Support Office (LISO) at 1-800-222-6485.  
  • This information is only available by phone. Do not go to an Alberta Works Support Centre location for this information. They cannot help with this type of request.

Notify Bow Valley College 

If you have been approved for Alberta Works funding, you need to tell Bow Valley College so we can make sure you remain registered in your classes.

  • Send a copy of your Funding Approval Decision letter to clientservices@bowvalleycollege.ca
  • If you can't send a copy by email, please bring a copy to the Office of the Registrar.

Other Information

If your Financial or Personal Circumstances Change

If your income or personal circumstances have changed after submitting an application you may need to submit a Change in Circumstances form.

If you have any questions about Change in Circumstances form, call the Learner Income Support Office toll-free at 1‑800‑222‑6485.