Note: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has put special measures to help temporary residents and applicants affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID‑19) check more here.


International Application Steps

Step 1) Choose your program of study  PROGRAMS AVAILABILITY

Some programs are popular and fill up really quickly. Check seats availability before submitting an application.

Step 2) Submit your online application for Fall 2021 or Winter 2022  APPLY NOW

Review the application deadline for international students and when ready submit an online application (you will be redirected to ApplyAlberta website).


For country-specific document requirements, please check the International Academic Documents by Country list. Send your official high school transcripts, official translations and your proof of English language proficiency to

Step 4) Submit fees

Submit the application fee. If accepted you need to reserve your seat in the program by paying the non-refundable/non-transferable confirmation deposit or you can pay the first term of tuition and fees. 

The confirmation deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable and it is part of your tuition and fees for the first term. Check payment options to pay all International Fees. Check more about tuition and fees.

Step 5) Study permit application

Once you receive the Letter of Acceptance, you can apply for a study permit at your nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate. Your study permit application with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will require both our Designated Learning Institute (DLI) number: O19273769422 and an Official Letter of Acceptance. Canadian DLI’s can be verified with Immigration and Citizenship Canada.

Step 6) Sign in to MYBVC 

Check Bow Valley College (MyBVC) email to get important information. This is your communication tool with the College.

We strongly recommend applying a minimum of 12 months in advance of the intended start of your studies. It is very important to ensure that there is sufficient time for processing your study permit application before confirming your start date. Refer to the drop down menu below for more guidance on how to apply.

Start Date Applications Open
Winter 2022 (January) December 1, 2020
Spring 2022 (May) April 1, 2021
Fall 2022 (September) August 3, 2021
Winter 2023 (January) December 1, 2021


Before you apply

Bow Valley College was informed that there have been changes to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) under the Alberta Opportunity Stream. The AINP is a provincial program which nominates eligible individuals for permanent residence application processing through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The requirements for permanent residency programs may be adjusted without prior notice by government in response to the labor demands across various provinces/territories or on a national level. For complete details on the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program please check AINP website here. Bow Valley College is committed to reviewing and understanding the concerns and feedback that we have been receiving from learners. We invite you to review the information below for clarification on a number of points. 1. There have been No Changes to the programs that are Designated Learning Institution approved at Bow Valley College. This means that the Bow Valley College Letter of Acceptance you received is still valid for study permit application. All of our Certificate, Diploma and Post-Diploma/Post-Degree programs remain DLI approved by the provincial and federal governments. Government of Canada, Information on Study Permits. 2. Eligibility for Post-Graduate Work Permit application has not changed. All of our full-time Certificate, Diploma and Post-Diploma/Post-Degree programs remain eligible for application for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. You must meet all eligibility requirements as an individual applicant. Bow Valley College does make every effort to ensure that where possible our programs comply with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s student pathway programs to meet the general eligibility for the Post-Graduate Work Permit. Government of Canada, Eligibility for Post-Graduation Work Permit. 3. If you are interested in understanding possible options to apply for permanent residency status in Canada, through AINP or any of the other available pathways to immigration, you are advised to contact a certified immigration consultant or immigration lawyer. If you believe the AINP revisions affect your current study plan the International Education Department welcomes you to communicate your concerns to our advisors and representatives.

Check the application deadline and program availability.

Bow Valley College processes applications on a first come, first qualified basis. Many of our programs fill up months in advance. We recommend applying 12 months before the start date.

Please contact the International Education Department and we will provide you with information about which programs still have seat availability.

Review the general important dates and deadlines and important dates for international learners.

Before you apply online for the Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 terms, download the Apply Alberta application guide. When you are ready, use the APAS Online Portal Application Form to apply.

Important: The primary e-mail address must be yours - the applicant.  There is a section in the application form to put additional contact information for anyone acting on behalf of the applicant.  Misrepresentation of the applicant e-mail contact information will result in significant delays in the application processing. 

If you need help, contact us at or call 403-410-3476.

Steps to apply

Explore our programs:

Remember to review the requirements for English Language proficiency. Check our Frequently Asked Questions  page for more information to consider. Get an estimate of what your tuition and fees will be depending on your program.

  • Is there seat availability in your program for your preferred start date?
  • What is the study permit submission deadline for your preferred start date?
  • Did you allow 6 to 8 weeks for your BVC application to be processed (once you submit a complete application package)?
  • Did you allow enough additional time before BVC’s study permit deadline for Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada’s for foreign study or visitor visas

Are you planning your start of term for the mandatory New Student Orientation and International Student Orientation, which take place the week before the session starts? Bow Valley programs are fast and focused, attending your orientation and learner preparation day will ensure you are ready to be successful, so you do not make mistakes that negatively impact your future.

You must submit your valid study permit to International Education no later than the study permit deadline. Plan Ahead. Give yourself lots of time to process your study permit application. If you miss this deadline, your seat will be released to a waitlist applicant. Your confirmation fee will not be refundable.

How to apply

  • Submit your application to the Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 terms through the online portal: APAS.
  • Put your (the student’s) contact information ONLY in "Applicant Contact Information."
  • Write your own (the student's) surname(s) and given name(s) on the application form exactly as they appear in your passport.
  • Only provide your (the student's) personal email, mailing address and telephone information on the application form. This will appear on all of our documentation.

You’ll get updates by email during the application process, so make sure we have your (the student’s) email address.

Need help? Check the APAS International Student Application Guide.

Your application will not be processed until you pay the application fee for each program. You can pay by credit card after you complete the application. If you do not have a credit card, you can choose "Pay Later." If you choose this option, make sure you provide your Alberta Student Number or a copy of your application when you make the payment. Learn more about payments.

If you are applying for our Academic Upgrading, Certificate or Diploma programs, you must submit your proof of admission requirements (academic transcripts and proof of English language proficiency) along with your application form. Make sure you know if there are other requirements for the program you are applying to. Documents must be emailed to (please include your Alberta Student Number - ASN in the subject line so we can locate your application).

  • Processing timeline: The application process takes approximately four to six weeks from the time a complete application (including all requested transcripts and supporting documents) is received. If you’re applying for the International ELL program, the application process only takes one week.

Do you need to use a person or agency to contact Bow Valley College about your application or admission? You'll have to complete and sign the Consent to Release Information Form first. This gives us permission to share information about your application. Add their contact information to the "Applying for someone else?" section of the APAS application form.

After you apply

Once we confirm you meet all requirements, you’ll get an email with an Offer of Admission.

If you’re not accepted, we’ll let you know via email. The email will include information about any admission requirements you're missing.

You'll also receive an email with your MyBVC account information. Log in and check it often, because the college uses it to send important information. You can also use MyBVC to make online payments, review account statements, and see course information.

Your Offer of Admission will be valid for approximately 3 weeks. To reserve your place in the program, you’ll need to pay the $1500 confirmation deposit. This fee is nonrefundable and nontransferable. Or you can pay the first term of tuition and fees within approximately 3 weeks. The $1500 deposit is part of your tuition and fees for the first term.

Make sure you provide your name and BVC student ID (or Alberta Student Number) with your payment. Read more about payment options.

You'll receive an electronic copy of your Letter of Acceptance and a receipt for the confirmation fee payment. This means you have a reserved place in the program.

You can request a hard copy of the original Letter of Acceptance and a receipt of payment. We will mail it to the address on your application if you request it.

Please keep a copy of the Letter of Acceptance for your reference.

Now it’s time to get your Canadian Study Permit. Submit your Letter of Acceptance and receipt of payment as part of your application. You can apply for your permit at the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate.

Please check the Canadian study or visitor permit processing timelines first to avoid delays.

Bow Valley College's DLI# is O19273769422. (The first character is the letter “O” followed by 11 numbers: O 192 737 694 22).

Our programs are all Designated Learning programs and eligible to receive foreign nationals on a study permit.

When you apply, make sure you provide our DLI number along with the Letter of Acceptance. See the list of Designated Learning Institutions.

Important note: Most Bow Valley College Certificate and Diploma programs include an unpaid practicum. You may need to apply for a co-op work permit when you apply for a study permit. The Immigration and Citizenship Canada website has information about visa applications and processing times.

What do you do after you get your study permit? Contact the International Education Department and email a copy of your permit to This confirms you're ready to join the program.

Orientation sessions are held the week before classes start. Visit the New Student Orientation page and the International Student Orientation page to learn more.

Learners requiring academic accommodations must contact the Learner Success Services at least four months prior to the commencement of their scheduled classes at Bow Valley College to establish an academic accommodation plan. Reasonable effort will be made to provide suitable academic accommodation; however, there is no guarantee that services will be available and it is possible that start dates may have to be deferred in order to provide required accommodation. While the College will attempt to facilitate all learner requests for accommodation, there is a current shortage of sign language interpreters.

What happens if you can't attend the first day of class? You must inform the International Education Department in writing before the program start date. If you don't provide written communication, you can't get a full refund or deferral.

Read more about our policies on refunds, visa refusals, and deferrals.

Helpful links

Here are helpful links about the application process:

International Education

North Campus, N333
345 - 6 Avenue SE

  • If you are currently studying in a post-secondary program at BVC, please register for your courses via mybvc to ensure your enrolments and fees are processed appropriately.
  • Cart total based on domestic tuition rates. For information about International Tuition rates please see Fee Information
  • If you anticipate applying for a student loan, your payment will be refunded to you based on your loan award once your funding has been received by BVC.

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Learn more in our privacy policy