The Entrepreneur Centres at Bow Valley College offer a variety of part-time programs and access to people, know-how, modern business practices, and essential skills training to help you succeed.
Digital marketing and transformation for business is a series of multiple workshops designed to empower entrepreneurs in the adoption and implementation of digital skills and tools to help their businesses survive ... and thrive. Participants may take one (or all) of the available workshops in this series. Additional topics will be added to this series over the coming months.
Email marketing to grow your small business
Studies show that email is still the most effective tool that small business owners have in their marketing toolbox. Done right it can really boost your sales and have a positive impact on your brand.
In this email marketing workshop you will learn how to get started with email marketing. Key takeaways include how to:
• Plan, implement, and manage effective email marketing campaigns
• Evaluate which marketing tools are right for you
• Get set up with email marketing
• Understand effective email marketing design
• Craft great subject lines and content that recipients take action on
• Build, segment, and grow your contact lists
• Decide when to send your communications
• Test and measure your success
This session is for entrepreneurs and small business owners who want to use email marketing to positively impact their bottom line.
No advanced knowledge is required, but some familiarity with email is beneficial.
Wednesday, October 14, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, November 10, 2020 | 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Getting found online - tools and tactics to help your website show up higher in search engines
Showing up on the first page in search results like Google drives more traffic to your website. Learn how to line up your ducks so that your website gets found online by the right people at the right time. Making sure more customers in your local area find you when they are searching online involves optimizing your website. This session is designed as an introduction to website optimization and Google search for small business owners and entrepreneurs.
What you will learn:
• The anatomy of Google search
• How Google search works
• How to determine your site’s rank and performance
• The most important factors that impact your site’s search engine position
• How to audit and improve your site’s performance
• Researching the right key words to use on your website (and where to use them)
• On page and off page techniques
• Tools to make search engine optimization (SEO) easier
• Tips to help your site visits convert into business
• How to know it is working
If you are new to SEO and want your website to rank higher on Google, this session is for you. Learn actionable techniques that beginners can implement right away to improve website performance.
No advanced knowledge is required, but having a website and familiarity with your website content is beneficial.
Wednesday, October 21, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Tuesday, November 17, 2020 | 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Social media marketing essentials for small business
You might know how to use social media, but do you know how to harness it effectively to grow your business? This introduction to social media for small business contains everything you need to know to kick-start your social media marketing.
Having a strategy is key to success. In this course you will learn how to plan and implement best practices for social media marketing including:
• How to get set up
• Which platforms to use
• Tried and tested tactics to help you succeed on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
• Creating great content
• Timing your posts
• Growing your following and interactions
• Social media advertising
• Tools that make social media marketing easy
• Measuring your success
This session is for entrepreneurs and small business owners who want to harness social media effectively to grow their business.
No advanced knowledge is required, but some familiarity with social networks is beneficial.
Wednesday, October 28, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, November 24, 2020 | 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Google Ads – what you need to know to start driving traffic to your website
Google is often the first place your customers go when they are thinking of making a purchase. What if the first thing to show at the top of the Google search results is an ad for your business? This course introduces the power of Google Ads, the world’s top pay-per-click advertising platform. You will learn:
• Why you should (and shouldn’t) advertise on Google
• How Google Ads work
• The different types of Google Ads and how they appear in the search results
• Google Ads rules and policies
• Setting up your Google Ads account
• Planning your campaigns
• Making the most of your ads budget
• Targeting your specific audience
• Tips for writing great ads
• Website landing page conversion techniques
• Managing and maintaining your campaigns
• Setting up goals and tracking conversions with Google Analytics
With Google Ads you can get set up and running in as little as a few hours. This session will show you how.
No advanced knowledge is required, but some familiarity with Google search is beneficial.
We recommend “Getting found online - tools and tactics to help your website show up higher in search engines” first in order to get the most out of this session.
Wednesday, November 4, 2020 | 12:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Tuesday, December 1, 2020 | 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Through online learning, in-person seminars, and mentorship, SMARTstart gives entrepreneurs with an idea and new business owners the tools to build a plan that will help set their business up for success.