Global Affairs Canada (formerly Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development)
Improving Skills Training for Employment Program - Tanzania
The Improving Skills Training for Employment Program (ISTEP) in Tanzania is a project undertaken with the financial support of the Government in Canada provided through Global Affairs Canada (formerly Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development), and administered via Colleges and Institutes Canada (formerly the Association of Canadian Community Colleges). ISTEP will build the capacity of technical and vocational training institutions across Tanzania to deliver effective skills training programs, resulting in 1,200 Tanzanian youth with the right skills sets to find employment in the extractives and tourism sectors or to create their own employment.
Description of Actual Services Provided:
In cooperation with partners from Canada and Tanzania experts were responsible for the planning and implementation of the following project activities:
- Occupational and labour market analysis
- Selected modules delivered as pilots in both the Vocational Education Training Authority (VETA) and the National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) environments and reports on implementation presented to guide future program modifications or delivery
- Teacher training focused on CBET approach to teaching, curriculum development and lesson planning, and assessment and evaluation
- Curriculum developed in a modular format for a model teacher training program designed to prepare technical and vocational teachers to deliver competence-based training
- Curriculum developed to include modules addressing entrepreneurship, curriculum development, open distance learning (ODL), and gender in TVET delivery
- One module designed for delivery through an open and distance delivery modality
- Training workshop(s) delivered to prepare tutors to deliver selected modules of the new program
Description of Results Achieved:
Results for year one were completed on schedule. The project is now on Year 2 and 3.