2018 IYIP Positions are now open for application.
Are you looking for an opportunity to gain international work experience and launch your career with an added global skillset?
Bow Valley College in partnership with College of the Rockies and Selkirk College are offering overseas internship placements through the International Youth Internship Program (IYIP).
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume through the Bow Valley College’s Career page. Positions descriptions are available under Current Job Opportunities.
What is IYIP?
The International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) offers Canadian post-secondary graduates the opportunity to gain professional experience through international development work.
The program, which is funded Global Affairs Canada, is part of the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
What is the aim of the International Youth Internship Program?
Through the Program, Bow Valley College, College of the Rockies, and Selkirk College aim to:
- Provide eligible Canadian youth with international experience, skills and knowledge that will prepare them for future employment
- Increase employment opportunities by promoting awareness among Canadian organizations of the advantages of integrating young Canadian professionals into their structures and programs
- Provide opportunities for Canadian youth to promote Canada’s international development efforts both in Canada and abroad
How many internship placements are available?
There are 28 internships available each year from 2018 – 2020.
Is this a paid internship?
This program provides funds for the following:
- A modest monthly living stipend paid to interns overseas (the specific amount will be determined by Bow Valley College based on considerations such as the cost of living in placement locations)
- International travel and visa costs
- Overseas health insurance
- Vaccination expenses (partial to full coverage)
- Travel to and from the location, as well as accommodation for mandatory pre-departure and reintegration training (this is specific to individuals residing outside of Calgary)
- Meal/meal allowance during pre-departure and re-integration training
What countries will be the internships be in?
There will be two or more internships each year with our partners in the following countries: Antigua, Dominica, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Jamaica, Kenya, Peru, Rwanda, and Tanzania. For specific partner information please see the positions list below.
What is the timeline for the internships?
Each intern will spend six months overseas in addition to a mandatory in-Canada pre-departure and re-integration of approximately one week each.
Our 2018 internship period will be approximately May 28th – December 8th, 2018.
What is the eligibility criteria?
All applicants must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Between the ages of 19 and 30
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- A post-secondary graduate—graduate of a degree or diploma program from a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CEGEP (collège d'enseignement général et professionnel) (By May 2018)
- Have not previously participated in an internship within the Global Affairs IYIP initiative (formerly CIDA and DFATD)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
To learn more about the credentials required for each position please refer directly to the internship postings.
What is the application process?
Applications for Bow Valley College internships will be open from approximately March 5th, 2018 to Friday, March 23rd (for Peru Internships) and March 26th, 2018 (for all additional internships). Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter through Bow Valley College’s Career page.
For more exciting internship opportunities please visit:
Internship opportunities through COLLEGE OF THE ROCKIES
Internship opportunities through SELKIRK COLLEGE
INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS OFFERED BY Bow Valley College
Location: Jamaica - Kingston
Overseas Partner: University of the West Indies Open Campus – Caribbean Child Development Centers
• Child Development Curriculum Enrichment Officer
• Community Engagement - Digital Outreach Officer
Location: Tanzania – Dar Es Salaam and Morogoro
Overseas Partners: Nafasi Opportunity Society (Dar Es Salaam), Morogoro Vocational Teachers Training College (Morogoro)
• Economic Assessment Officer
• Project Evaluation & Monitoring Officer
• Gender Specialist Officer
• E-Learning Development Technologist
Location: Peru – Lima
Overseas Partners: “ Light Up the World”
• Social Enterprise Development Officer
• Solar Project Officer
Location: Kenya - Eldoret
Overseas Partners: Rift Valley Technical Training Institute
• Learner Wellness and Success Officer Campus
• HIV and AIDS Awareness Officer
Have questions? For more information about internships or to discuss an opportunity, please contact us: IYIP@bowvalleycollege.ca