Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
A TRV, also referred to as a ‘visitor visa’ or ‘entry visa’, is an official counterfoil issued by IRCC or visa offices and placed in a foreign national’s passport to enter or re-enter Canada.
To enter Canada as an international student in addition to study permit, you need to have either a Temporary Resident Visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) depending on your country of citizenship.
If you are from a visa required country, read the following information carefully.
If you apply for an initial study permit outside of Canada, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV. If your study permit is approved, you will be issued a TRV along with your study permit.
You are not allowed to re-enter to Canada without a valid Temporary Resident Visa even though you have a valid Study Permit. A valid TRV is not required while you are inside Canada. However, it is strongly recommended to have a valid TRV at all times in case of urgent trips out of Canada.
You can apply from within Canada.
- Online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website
- Create IRCC secure account and follow the instructions.
Travelling outside of Canada during your studies
If you plan to travel during your studies, you must have a valid study permit and TRV to re-enter Canada. Also, we recommend you have the letter of enrollment issued before the departure and present the document upon re-entry if necessary. We recommend you speak with an international Learner advisor before travelling.
It is best not to leave Canada while an immigration document extension is being processed, especially if your current document will expire while you are abroad.
If your passport containing TRV is lost or stolen
- Contact police services and file a police report. You should ask a copy of the police report or at least the police report number
- Apply for a new passport from the consulate or embassy of your home country
- Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa with a letter of explanation and proof of police report