"The Chiu School of Business’ coordination of students and industry hosts for practicum placement was instrumental for me. The opportunity to prove myself with a prospective employer and ultimately secure full-time employment would not have been possible without practicum or the support of the Chiu School of Business."
Adrienne Lefaivre, Graduate of the Administrative Professional Certificate
Field placement is a full-time, unpaid opportunity for students in their field of study, offered over a 4-6 week period for 140-210 hours. Field placements provide students with intensive, hands-on, practical experience in a setting relevant to their subject of study.
The application process for field placement aligns with the competitive nature of a job search and candidates are responsible for demonstrating a high level of professionalism and meeting program expectations. Not all applicants are guaranteed a field placement.
Note that ADMN9999: Work Experience ($200 tuition) is a non-credit course and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
Application process for the Hospital Unit Clerk, Medical Office Assistant, and Veterinary Office Assistant Certificate.
Field Placement (ADMN9999: Work Experience) requires you to complete a two-part application process. During the two-part application process, students are subject to a number of required tasks, workshops, department interview, and submitting required documentation to work towards gaining an optional Field Placement. Field Placement candidates are held at a high standard of expectation at the industry and program level and final acceptance for placement is subject to department approval. Placements can be subject to cancellation at any time.
- Complete the Field Placement Application Form and submit to Career Services. Your Application Form must be received four months (one full semester) in advance of Field Placement start date.
- You will receive all of the information you will need to get the application process started at the beginning of your program. A handy checklist will be accessible to help you stay on track so you don’t miss any important tasks or deadlines.
- Successfully complete an Employment Preparation course (ADMN9998) in your last term of study. Employment Preparation is a non-credit course ($150 tuition) and is one pre-requisite for Field Placement eligibility. It is important to note that both ADMN9999: Work Experience ($200 tuition) and prerequisite ADMN9998: Employment Preparation ($150 tuition) are non-credit courses and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
- During the application process, you are required to attend mandatory workshops, complete two separate applications, submit industry and program required paperwork, complete an interview with Career Services, and gain department approval. These steps in the application process are pre-requisites for Field Placement eligibility.
- Other requirements include the successful completion of all of your program courses (30 credits) with a department required 2.6 GPA and a minimum B- grade in MGMT1201: Business Communication course. These academic requirements are pre-requisites to Field Placement eligibility.
Application process for the Legal Assistant Diploma, and the Administrative Professional, Business Administration, and Human Resources Certificates.
*NOTE: For Legal Assistant Diploma learners, these processes will change after Fall 2023 and for Administrative Professional Certificate learners, these processes will change after Winter 2023, for any learners who start their program before Fall 2022. Check the Administrative Professional Certificate program page or Legal Assistant Diploma program page for additional information.
- Complete the Work Experience Application Form and submit to Career Services. Your Application Form must be received four months (one full semester) in advance of practicum start date.
- Successfully complete non-credit course ADMN9998: Employment Preparation ($150 tuition). Note that ADMN9998 is a non-credit course and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
- Successfully complete all required program courses with a minimum 2.6 GPA and a minimum B- grade in MGMT1201: Business Communication.
"I believe participating in practicum was one of the most vital things I could have done for my career." Kyley Schmidt, Legal Assistant Diploma Graduate
"I was hired on right out of my practicum and in less than a year I had a full time permanent unit clerk position within AHS." Kyra Petrie, Hospital Unit Clerk Graduate
"The work experience program is very helpful because it gives students the opportunity to have firsthand experience on what the job is. Though I was not hired, it will help me in the future as it is part of my development professionally and in my individual growth." Florinda Tuwao, Medical Office Assistant Graduate
"Thanks to my practicum with the VOA program, I thankfully have a job with one of the leading companies in Veterinary Medicine." Gavin Laverty, Veterinary Office Assistant Graduate