"The Chiu School of Business’ coordination of students and industry hosts for practicum placement was instrumental for me. The opportunity to prove myself with a prospective employer and ultimately secure full-time employment would not have been possible without practicum or the support of the Chiu School of Business."
Adrienne Lefaivre, Graduate of the Administrative Professional Certificate
Work Experience (practicum) offers you the opportunity to use your new skills in the workplace, receive strong mentorship, gain valuable experience, and enjoy networking opportunities with an approved host. Work Experience is offered as an unpaid, non-credit work placement scheduled immediately following the completion of all required courses (Calgary placement only). This practical training runs for 4 to 6 weeks and is coordinated by a Student Engagement Officer. Note that ADMN999 Work Experience ($200 tuition) is a non-credit course and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
Applicants must meet all eligibility criteria and follow the application process to be accepted into Work Experience. The application process aligns with the competitive nature of a job search. Candidates are responsible to demonstrate a high level of professional and program expectations. Not all applicants are guaranteed a Work Experience position.
Application process for the Hospital Unit Clerk, Medical Office Assistant, Dental Business Assistant & Veterinary Office Assistant Certificate.
Work Experience requires you to complete a two part application process. During the two part application process, students are subject to a number of required tasks, workshops, department interview, and submitting required documentation to work towards gaining an optional Work Experience placement. Work Experience candidates are held at a high standard of expectation at the industry and program level and final acceptance for placement is subject to department approval. Placements can be subject to cancellation at any time.
- Apply in the first semester of your program. You will receive all of the information you will need to get the application process started at the beginning of your program. A handy checklist will be accessible to help you stay on track so you don’t miss any important tasks or deadlines.
- Successfully complete the Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES) and/or remedial during your first term of study. The TOWES credential is one pre-requisite for Work Experience eligibility. The best part of TOWES is that there is no cost, prep work, or studying before you write the exam!
- Successfully complete an Employment Preparation course (ADMN9998) in your last term of study. Employment Preparation is a non-credit course ($150) and is one pre-requisite for Work Experience eligibility. It is It is important to note that both ADMN9999 ($200) and prerequisite ADMN9998 ($150) are non-credit courses and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
- During the application process, you are required to attend mandatory workshops, complete two separate applications, submit industry and program required paperwork, complete an interview with your Student Engagement Officer, and gain department approval. These steps in the application process are pre-requisites for Work Experience eligibility.
- Other requirements include the successful completion of all of your program courses (30 credits) with a department required 2.6 GPA and a minimum B- grade in MGMT1201 Business Communication course. These academic requirements are pre-requisites to Work Experience eligibility.
Application process for the Legal Assistant Diploma, and the Administrative Professional, Business Administration, Events Management, and Human Resources Certificates.
- Complete the Work Experience Application Form and submit to your Student Engagement Officer. Your Application Form must be received four months (one full semester) in advance of practicum start date.
- Successfully complete non-credit course ADMN9998 Employment Preparation ($150 tuition). Note that ADMN9998 is a non-credit course and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly
- Successfully complete BVC’s Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES). There is no cost or prep work required before writing your TOWES.
- Successfully complete all required program courses with a minimum 2.6 CGPA and a minimum B- grade in MGMT1201 Business Communication.
"I believe participating in practicum was one of the most vital things I could have done for my career." Kyley Schmidt, Legal Assistant Diploma Graduate
"I was hired on right out of my practicum and in less than a year I had a full time permanent unit clerk position within AHS." Kyra Petrie, Hospital Unit Clerk Graduate
"The work experience program is very helpful because it gives students the opportunity to have firsthand experience on what the job is. Though I was not hired, it will help me in the future as it is part of my development professionally and in my individual growth." Florinda Tuwao, Medical Office Assistant Graduate
"Thanks to my practicum with the VOA program, I thankfully have a job with one of the leading companies in Veterinary Medicine." Gavin Laverty, Veterinary Office Assistant Graduate