"The Chiu School of Business’ coordination of students and industry hosts for practicum placement was instrumental for me. The opportunity to prove myself with a prospective employer and ultimately secure full-time employment would not have been possible without practicum or the support of the Chiu School of Business."
Adrienne Lefaivre, Graduate of the Administrative Professional Certificate
Field placement is a full-time, unpaid opportunity for domestic students in their field of study, offered over a 4-6 week period for 140-210 hours. Field placements provide students with intensive, hands-on, practical experience in a setting relevant to their subject of study.
The application process for field placement aligns with the competitive nature of a job search and candidates are responsible for demonstrating a high level of professionalism and meeting program expectations. Not all applicants are guaranteed a field placement.
Note that ADMN9999: Work Experience is a non-credit course and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
Application process for the Hospital Unit Clerk, Medical Office Assistant, and Veterinary Office Assistant Certificate.
Field Placement (ADMN9999: Work Experience) requires you to complete a two-part application process. During the two-part application process, students are subject to a number of required tasks, workshops, department interview, and submitting required documentation to work towards gaining an optional Field Placement. Field Placement candidates are held at a high standard of expectation at the industry and program level and final acceptance for placement is subject to department approval. Placements can be subject to cancellation at any time.
- Complete the Field Placement Application Form and submit online to Work Integrated Learning Services. You will receive the field placement application form 4-5 months prior to the field placement start date from the Chiu School of Business.
- Your application will be reviewed by Work Integrated Learning Services to determine if you meet academic eligibility criteria.
- Successfully complete an Employment Preparation course (ADMN9998) in your last term of study. Employment Preparation is a non-credit course and is one pre-requisite for Field Placement eligibility. It is important to note that both ADMN9999: Work Experience and prerequisite ADMN9998: Employment Preparation are non-credit courses and therefore not covered by student loans; students are encouraged to budget accordingly.
- During the application process, you are required to attend mandatory workshops, complete two separate applications, submit industry and program required paperwork, complete an interview with Work Integrated Learning Services, and gain department approval. These steps in the application process are pre-requisites for Field Placement eligibility.
- Other requirements include the successful completion of all of your program courses (30 credits) with a department required 2.6 GPA and a minimum B- grade in MGMT1201: Business Communication course. These academic requirements are pre-requisites to Field Placement eligibility.
NOTE: If you started your program prior to Fall 2023, an optional field placement will be offered to you until (and including) the Winter 2024 term. For additional information, contact email@example.com