Letters for International Students

If you're an international student, you may need documents from the college. Find out how to get them here.

You may need letters from the college for different reasons. The most common ones are:

Confirmation of Enrolment

Confirmation of Co-op Work Experience

Confirmation of Academic Break

Confirmation of Completion

Invitation to Graduation

Confirmation of Enrolment

Confirmation of Co-op Work Experience

  • Confirms your program has a practicum or work experience.
  • You'll need it to apply for a Co-op Work Permit.  
  • You can request this letter from your department or program contact:
Chiu School of Business

Email our Student Engagement Officer

School of Health and Human Services

Confirmation of Academic Break

Confirms you're currently on a scheduled academic program break.

 You need this if:

  • you're a full-time student in certificate or diploma program;
  • and you have a study permit that allows you to work full-time during an academic break.

To request this letter:

Meet with an academic advisor or Student Engagement Officer. They'll help you create a study plan.*

The study plan should include:

  • the proposed academic break session
  • a full-time study plan for the rest of the program
  • Email a copy of your study plan to International Education. We'll confirm that it meets immigration requirements.*
  • The academic advisor or Student Engagement Officer will issue the letter.
  • Please read CIC requirements for Scheduled Academic Breaks. You should also read the “Studying While in Canada” section on the Study Changes page.  

Confirmation of Completion Letter

Confirms you've completed a full-time program of 1 or 2 years at Bow Valley College. You can submit this letter for your Post-Graduate Work Permit application.  

Eligibility criteria
  • You have studied full-time and continuously throughout your program. Exceptions: a regular academic break and the last semester of classes. If you transfer credits, make sure you maintain full-time enrolment.*
  • Most of the courses you're enrolled in every term are in-class delivery.*
  • If you're in a certificate program: You've completed at least 8 months of study at Bow Valley College. *
  • If you're in a diploma program: You've completed at least 16 months of study at Bow Valley College. *
What's next
  • The International Education Department will submit the request to the Registrar's Office. The process can take 6 to 8 weeks after the end of your last term.
  • You'll receive your letter by mail along with the official final documentation. Your mailing address is the one you entered in your MyBVC.ca student portal. Make sure your contact information is up to date.

* Please note: Eligibility is based on continuous enrolment in your program. After the regular academic break, you must maintain your full-time studies. If you don't, you'll be violating the terms of your study permit.

Invitation to Graduation

Confirms you're invited to take part in Bow Valley College's graduation ceremony. This letter can only be issued once the date and place of the graduation are available. Check those details on the Graduation page.

You need this letter if you want to invite relatives to come to Canada for the graduation ceremony.

To request this letter:

Email International Education and confirm the expected end date of your program. We'll send a copy of the letter to your MyBVC.ca student email.

You'll have to write an invitation letter to your relatives and add the letter as support. Read the CIC guidelines on Letters of Invitation.

Contact us

International Learner Advisors

S2030 South Campus, Second Floor
345 - 6 Avenue SE

Your cart is currently empty.

Browse Available Courses