Eligibility Criteria and Pre-requisites
- A full-time, unpaid opportunity for students in their field of study, offered over a 4–6-week period for 140-210 hours. Field Placements provide students with intensive, hands-on, practical experience in a setting relevant to their subject of study.
- Placements are 4 weeks in length for certificate programs and 6 weeks for diploma programs
- Students are expected to demonstrate competencies and master required tasks throughout the placement.
- Hosts/ employers will provide ongoing feedback, as well as formal written feedback in the form of a mid-term visit and a final evaluation report.
- Placements should start with an orientation and observation phase and gradually allow students to increase their responsibilities as the placement progresses
- Mid-term point – check in meeting with Program Instructor, host/ employer, and student
- End of placement – final evaluation completed by host/employer and submitted to Program Instructor
There are several criteria which students must meet prior to beginning a Field Placement which include:
Meeting academic pre-requisites:
- Overall, cumulative GPA of 2.6 or higher
- Completion of MGMT1201: Business Communication with a B- or higher
- Completion of ADMN9998: Employment Preparation with a passing grade
Meeting submission deadlines:
- Submission of field placement application and required forms by deadlines
- Submission of program specific field placement requirements
Being an active student in your program:
- You are taking one or more required credit courses from your program in the semester before your field placement begins. For example, if you want to do field placement in September, then you must be taking at least one required credit course from your program during the May semester.
- You are on track to finish your program the month before your placement begins
Modelling professional behaviour:
- You are a “learner in good standing” with Bow Valley College, per the Academic Continuance and Graduation Policy (Policy #500-1-5)
- Your instructors provide positive feedback about your academic performance, in-class habits, participation, teamwork, communication style, and overall professional behaviour in the classroom
The Chiu School of Business and Career Services verify your eligibility status related to each criterion at each step in the process, including:
- Application to field placement
- Conditional acceptance
- Final confirmation prior to starting your field placement
- You complete your optional field placement at the end of your program.
- If a field placement is secured:
- You are informed and registered in the optional field placement course (ADMN9999). You will be required to pay the registration fee for this course at the time of registration.
- Your graduation date will be extended until the end of your placement (4-6 weeks) and your ceremony will align with the College’s next available graduation cycle.
- Do apply to graduate in the event you are not able to complete a placement.
- If a field placement is not secured:
- You are audited by the College to see if you are eligible for graduation.
- As field placements are optional and not guaranteed, be sure to apply to graduate.
- HUC and MOA students: You will receive additional instructions after completing the initial field placement application. DO NOT approach AHS sites, especially hospitals, for placement information during any phase of this process until instructed to do so by your Career Services placement lead.