VentureQuest Business Idea Competition
Now in it's third year, VentureQuest is a Social Entrepreneurship Idea Competition that gives Bow Valley College (BVC) students a chance to collaborate with like-minded people, create a network of socially focused entrepreneurs, and develop a business idea, while they compete for over $25,000 in cash and in-kind services that can help them launch their business idea.
Contestants submit a 3-minute video that explains their social entrepreneurship idea and the top 10 then are chosen to participate in a business idea competition that includes idea judging from BVC students, business plan judging from industry experts and a 5-minute pitch judged by special guests at the gala dinner.
2016 VentureQuest Final Gala
We're honoured to shine a spotlight on the five finalists who were well-prepared with engaging pitches captivating the 150 guests at the VentureQuest 3rd Annual Business Idea Competition Final Gala on February 11, 2016. The winning students go on to transform their business ideas into social business ventures. They completed months of preparation that included a video submission, a showcase, and a business plan challenge before presenting in last night's final gala. Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Craig Elias, said, "It was the best gala yet and I'm proud of their achievements. The finalists are very deserving as they stepped way out of their comfort zone last night to make the magic happen."
Celebrating the achievements and passion for their business venture, we would like to congratulate the following winners:
First Place: Andrei Banu - LightBox
Second Place: Martial Nounezi - Cameroonian Food
Third Place: Sheriff Saliha - Innovative Mobile Apps Coding for Youth
Most Liked Video on Facebook: Mitra and Ali Kalantaian - Unique Rice Cakes
Click on the blue box below to see more on VentureQuest!
The VentureQuest competition provides an opportunity for business communities to participate in recognizing BVC students in their entrepreneurial venture. "It is fantastic to see every year that community leaders are extremely generous in getting engaged in experiential learning with our next generation of community leaders," remarked Natashca Doiron, CSB Coordinator, Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The final gala judges included Geeta Sankapannavar, President and COO of Grafton Funds; Kurt Seredynski, Sales Manager, Small Business for RBC; Debby Carreau, CEO and founder of Inspired HR; and Gord Sawatzky, Executive Director of Business Link. Our Business Plan judges included Bev DeSantis from Business Link, Frank Wolever from Momentum, Neetu Sidhu from ATB, Rob Driscoll from Business Edge Magazine, and Sean Sandhurst from Post Media.
Other special guests included Bill Robertson, Mayor of Okotoks; Kent Rupert, Team Leader for Economic Development Airdrie; Michael Ell, Mayor of Strathmore; Peter Garret, President of Innovate Calgary; Shelley Vandenberg, President of First Calgary; and Sharon Carry, President of Bow Valley College.We would like to thank everyone for participating and helping us showcase the inspirational, entrepreneurial spirit at BVC! This is powerful recognition of what can be accomplished when you believe in yourself and we look forward to seeing the impact these entrepreneurs can bring to the community and economy.
Congratulations to the top ten finalists who were selected by the judges after reviewing the video submissions:
- Alireza Mardani - Ash Foods
- Martial Nounezi - Cameroonian Food
- Xing Xiu Bi - Chinese Tea Association
- Avanti Dhamale - Language Hub
- Saliha Sheriff - Innovative Mobile Apps Coding for Youth
- Andrei Banu - LightBox
- Pavan Sangha - RawNatural Juice Co.
- Stephanie Gladue - SnapWrap
- Mitra Kalantarian - Unique Rice Cake
- Nicole Fuller - Up-Cycling
VentureQuest Showcase for the Top Ten Finalists
This year's Showcase was a huge success with over 250 students participating in the voting. This exceeded last year's participation by over 100 votes! The event was an opportunity for the top ten finalist to showcase their business ventures to their peers who then voted on who should receive the first place prize in the VentureQuest competition. We would like to thank everyone for their encouragement with the students and in supporting the VentureQuest initiative.
2nd Annual VentureQuest Winners
First Place: Malika Hamel - Malika's Mushrooms
Second Place: Nadeem (Aly) Jiwa - BeefWings (Check out Aly's interview on Global News)
Third Place: John Contois - Home School
Most Liked Video on Facebook: tied between Malika Hamel and victor Lawrance
From left to rigth: David Allwright (Dean, Chiu School of Business), Malika Hamel, Nadeem Jiwa, and John Contois
1st Annual VentureQuest Winners
First Place: Kayla Sollid - Books With Benefits (Check out Kayla's interview on Global News)
Second Place: Gillian Rouleau - Calgary Jam Scene
Third Second Place: Kaitlyn McKenney - Robbyn Hood
Most Liked Video on Facebook: Arash Niazi
- Entrants must submit their Competition Entry (as defined herein) by 11:59 p.m. November 8th, 2015 (the "Entry Deadline")
- Facebook Video voting will be open from November 9th, 2015 until 11:59 p.m. February 7th, 2016 (the "Facebook Voting Deadline")
- Display Showcase during the lunch hour on December 4, 2015 in the Atrium on the 2nd floor South Campus.
- Finalists must submit a short business plan by 11:59 p.m. January 31st, 2016 (the "Business Plan Deadline")
- VentureQuest Gala - Final presentation and judging will be February 11th, 2016 at BVC (the "Final Presentation")
Most Popular Video
The most popular video submission, as voted on by the public by way of Likes on Facebook, Students are to post their video to
Top 10 Teams
Top 10 teams will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- 70% Video Presentation
- 30% Business plan outline
- Financial potential
- Business model innovativeness and creativity
- Feasibility & sustainability
- Demonstration of positive social impact
Judges will evaluate each display based on the following criteria:
- Students knowledge and presentation of business: 20%
- Competitive analysis: 20%
- Marketing strategy: 20%
- Creativity: 10%
- Professionalism of team: 10%
- Display: 10%
- Collateral: 10%
Showcase participation is mandatory to receive the $500 prize awarded to the top 10 entrants and to be eligible to win one of the top 3 prizes.
Top three prize winners will be chosen according to the following;
- Showcase evaluation: 20%
- Submitted Business Plan: 60%
- Business Model Innovation: Demonstrated originality & addresses market need: 10%
- Benefits: Explain benefit to customers and society: 10%
- Resources and Risk: Identified risks & resources needed: 10%
- Viability: Stated realistic financial and budget projections: 10%
- Feasibility: Demonstrated ability to execute the business plan: 10%
- Creative & Compelling: Provided a creative & compelling plan: 10%
- Final Presentation: Final presentation will be scored as above (Business Plan): 20%
*Only entries that follow the Offical Rules and Regulations will be considered for the contest.