Bow Valley College is pleased to offer Open Studies. Open Studies provides learners access to a selection of Bow Valley College post-secondary credit courses without being admitted or committed to one of the College's post-secondary programs.
Open Studies allows an opportunity for learners to:
- obtain advanced standing credits in a Bow Valley College post-secondary program
- explore post-secondary program areas at Bow Valley College prior to making a commitment to a specific program
- enrol in post-secondary courses while taking upgrading or English Language Learning courses
- enrol in courses of general interest without intent to apply to a certificate or diploma
- enrol as a visiting student - currently enrolled at another post-secondary institution with a letter of permission
Learners are required to apply and be admitted to Open Studies before taking Open Studies courses.
- Applications to Open Studies for Spring 2017 will be accepted as of January 16, 2017
- Self-registration opens February 17, 2017
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
|IELTS - Academic
English 2 (BVC Course)
English 1 (BVC Course)
|Canadian Language Benchmarks / Milestones Test
|6 with minimum
band score of 5.5
|83||Minimum grade B-||n/a||8 in each strand|
OR: Successful completion of an Alberta Education English Language Arts course that is consistent with the specified academic admission requirements for the Career Program
OR: Transcripts demonstrating successful completion of three years of full-time secondary education at a school where English was the language of instruction
OR: Transcripts demonstrating successful completion of one year of full-time post-secondary education at a school where English was the language of instruction
English Proficiency Tests
- What is IELTS - Academic (International English Language Testing System)?
- What is TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)?
- What is the CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) test?
CLB, IELTS (Academic) and TOEFL results are valid for two years from the day of testing. Results that expire prior to the Start Date of the program cannot be accepted. Official results must be submitted.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit your application here
- Submit official transcripts or proof of English Language Proficiency (see English Language Proficiency Requirements above)
HOW TO REGISTER
Once you have been accepted into Open Studies, registration is available via MyBVC. If you are eligible to register, you will be sent an email with details outlining when registration opens for your program of study. Please check your MyBVC email regularly, as that is one place where the College will send formal communications.
The maximum number of credits that a student can take per term in Open Studies is 15. Click here for information on credit loads.
OPEN STUDIES COURSES
Every term, a selection of credit courses from the College's post-secondary programs may be offered. Each of the College's Schools will determine which courses may be available through Open Studies and the delivery method and location of courses offered. Work placement courses, including practicums and co-op courses, will not be available through Open Studies. In exceptional circumstances, a program coordinator may approve an Open Studies learner to take a course which is not on the master list of Open Studies courses.
For course descriptions, see page 61 of the Bow Valley College Academic Calendar. Not all of the courses listed in the Academic Calendar will be available in Open Studies.