• Print
  • Share

ELL Program Application Information

Whether you're a newcomer looking to improve your English, or an international student who wants to study in Canada, Bow Valley College has the English Language Learning (ELL) program to fit your needs.  For more information on our English language programs in multiple languages, visit centre.bowvalleycollege.ca/apply-ell.

Eligibility for programs may depend on your citizenship status. For information on how to apply for ELL programs, click on your citizenship category below:

Canadian Citizens (ELL / EAP)

Full-time ELL / EAP (English for Academic Purposes)

  • Canadian citizens can apply for full-time English Language Learning (ELL) and English for Academic Purposes (EAP) in-person at Bow Valley College. The application fee is $65.
  • Applications for the Fall 2017 term (classes beginning August 30, 2017) open in mid-May 2017.
  • Placement testing:
    • CLB / Benchmark test results:
      • Canadian Citizens: If you have Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) test results, please bring them to Bow Valley College when you apply. If you do not have benchmark results, you will be asked to complete an English placement test.
      • Permanent Residents / Convention Refugees: You must provide CLB benchmark test results. If you have never completed a CLB test, please contact ILVARC to arrange a testing appointment.
    • EAP Placement Test:
      • All applicants to the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program will be required to write the EAP placement test at Bow Valley College. Information about testing will be sent you to after you apply.
  • Please note that there may be more options for youth between the ages of 18 and 24.

Part-time ELL

  • If you want to study part-time, you can register for part-time ELL skills courses. See below for more information.

More information:

Permanent Residents (LINC)

Full-time LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada)

Who can apply for a LINC program?

  • Permanent Residents
  • Convention Refugees / Protected Persons (Convention Refugees may be eligible for LINC classes. For more information, please contact ILVARC.)

When can you apply?




Fall 2017 August 30, 2017 - December 19, 2017 On or after June 22, 2017 *


How to apply for LINC programs:

Apply at Bow Valley College on or after June 22, 2017

You will need to bring:
  1. Landing Papers (immigration papers), AND
  2. CLB Benchmarks with a referral to Bow Valley College, AND
  3. A completed Bow Valley College application form, including:

NOTE: Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and must include an
ILVARC referral document for a Bow Valley College LINC program.

*Permanent Residents / Convention Refugees: You must provide CLB benchmark test results with a referral to Bow Valley College. If you do not have this document, please contact ILVARC.

*NA Benchmarks are not acceptable: document should show all Benchmark numbers

Full-time ELL / EAP (English for Academic Purposes)

  • Permanent Residents / Convention Refugees with benchmarks of 5, 5, 5, 5 or higher, may be eligible to apply for Full-Time ELL.
  • Permanent Residents / Convention Refugees with benchmarks of 6,6,6,6 or higher - and at least 10 years of education in their home country - may be eligible to apply for English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
  • See the Full-Time ELL / EAP (English for Academic Purposes) section on this page for more information about how to apply.

More information:

International Students

Other Courses

Learners with Disabilities:
Learners requiring academic accommodations must contact the Learner Success Services at least four months prior to the commencement of their scheduled classes at Bow Valley College to establish an academic accommodation plan. Reasonable effort will be made to provide suitable academic accommodation; however, there is no guarantee that services will be available and it is possible that start dates may have to be deferred in order to provide required accommodation. While the College will attempt to facilitate all learner requests for accommodation, there is a current shortage of sign language interpreters.