Services for Learners with Disabilities
Bow Valley College is committed to an inclusive learning environment in which learners have equitable access to education. Accessibility Services within Learner Success Services offers supports for learners with disabilities.
If you think you may have a disability, please contact Learner Success Services for an initial screening with an Accessibility Services Advisor. If you have documentation of a disability, you may eligible for supports and accommodations. Your documentation must have a specific diagnosis of a disability, medical condition, or disorder AND specific recommendations to reduce the barriers caused by your disability. The specific accommodation(s) requested must have a clear and direct link between the disability and the requested accommodation(s). The Accessibility Services Advisor may recommend further assessment, or provide suggestions to help you with your learning. We may also recommend that you follow up with one of our counsellors.
For more information on services and accommodations for learners with disabilities, please refer to the Checklist for Setting up Academic Accommodations for Learners with Disabilities. You may also visit us in person - Learner Success Services, First Floor, South Campus, OR call us at 403-410-1440, OR email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Accessibility Services offers a wide variety of supports to learners with diagnosed disabilities, including (but not limited to):
- Learning disabilities
- Speech and language disabilities
- Blindness/visually impaired
- Deafness/hard of hearing
- Hearing impaired
- Mobility impaired
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders
- Neurological issues
- Chronic health issues including chronic pain
- Mental health issues
- Short term and temporary disabilities
Some of the services available to eligible learners may include:
- Assistance for students struggling in class or in the program
- Assistance with study skills and learning strategies
- Academic and exam accommodations
- Assistive Technology services and support
- Sign language interpreting for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students
- Education supports - Learning Strategist, Academic Aide, Tutor, Note Takers
Please contact us as soon as you are accepted and at least four months before you are scheduled to start classes at Bow Valley College.