Accessibility Services offers support services to all Bow Valley College students, including those with diverse needs and disabilities. Accessibility Services, in collaboration with other BVC departments, advocates for and provides services that increase access to learning for all students at all Bow Valley College campuses.
Bow Valley College has a policy on Academic Accommodations and Supports for Learners with Disabilities. If a student, counsellor, or instructor suspects that there may be a disability that is affecting student success or creating barriers to reaching academic goals, Accessibility Services may be able to help.
Accessibility Services also strongly supports the ideas and principles of Universal Design (UD) and Universal Instructional Design (UID) to help ensure all students have access to their course materials and have the opportunity to be successful. Our goal is to ensure that all students attending Bow Valley College have access to the education they need.
Some of the services Accessibility Services offers include:
- Help students understand their learning challenges by explaining how these can impact future progress through school, and the types of supports available at the College that may help them to be successful.
- Screen and refer students for assessment for learning disabilities/ADHD.
- Refer students to resources in the community or within BVC such as: professionals, agencies, counsellors, or other BVC departments for additional support.
- Collaborate with counsellors and other departments at the college to ensure student concerns are dealt with in a friendly and timely manner.
- Provide workshops and resources for students to enhance student success in learning, increase productivity, and promote student health and wellness.
For services, supports, Assistive Technology, and academic accommodations specific to students with disabilities, please contact Accessibility Services as soon as you are accepted or at least four months before you are scheduled to start classes at Bow Valley College. For more information about services for students with disabilities, please see our related website - Services for Students with Disabilities.