Centre for Excellence in Foundational Learning
The Centre for Excellence in Foundational Learning promotes and supports excellence in foundational learning (adult literacy, basic education, upgrading and essential skills) through knowledge dissemination, applied research and innovation, professional development and training, assessment and program design.
In 2008 Bow Valley College created the Centre for Excellence in Foundational Learning (CEFL) to promote and support excellence in foundational learning. Guided by Bow Valley College's learning philosophy and renowned leadership in adult foundational learning, the Centre began its work by initiating a collaborative partnership with a number of colleges and community adult learning councils in Alberta to explore and identify elements of excellence in adult foundational learning. We learned that listening to learners and practitioners, applying current and relevant research, working collaboratively and sharing our knowledge and innovation are elements of excellence in foundational learning. We have incorporated these into the Centre's guiding principles and areas of activities.In the first two years the Centre has:
• Produced an annotated bibliography on best practices for late-entry learners in college upgrading programs
• Partnered with the Centre for Literacy of Quebec to provide an international learning institute on health literacy
• Produced and facilitated the first Canadian webinar conference on best practices in online high school upgrading
• Supported faculty engagement in local and national applied research projects
• Facilitated the development of communities of practice and partnerships within the college and local community on foundational learning topics
The Alberta Education and Technology Roles and Mandates policy framework designated Bow Valley College as a Comprehensive Community Institution with instructional excellence in foundational learning. We take this role seriously and the creation of the CEFL reflects Bow Valley College's commitment to excellence. BVC is a respected deliverer of large foundational learning programs and projects notable for their quality and innovation. The college is a recognized leader in essential skills assessment having produced the national Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES). Foundational learning occurs in the workplace, classroom, online, and in people's community and homes. Like an intersection where domains of people's lives connect, the Centre aims to support applied research, innovation, and knowledge transfer for the purpose of continual improvement in foundational learning and thus, instructional excellence.