Research Ethics Board (REB)
Research Ethics: the application of moral rules and professional codes of conduct to the collection, analysis, reporting, and publication of information about research subjects, in particular: active acceptance of subjects' right to privacy, confidentiality, and informed consent.
The Research Ethics Board (REB) at Bow Valley College helps to ensure adherence to ethical principles in research for any research being done at the College, and follows the guidelines mandated by the Tri-Council Policy Statement.
If you are conducting research at Bow Valley College, you must determine if your research requires an ethics review by contacting Scottie Ray, Applied Reserach Officer, or accessing our Research Ethics Board information. The application and its guidelines can be found below, as well as various other information sheets to help you succeed in your application.
This year, the Chair of the Research Ethics Board is Dr. Margaret Toye, Lead Instructor for Academic Service Courses, Health and Community Care. Dr. Colleen Kawalilak of the University of Calgary acts as an Advisor to BVC Research Ethics Board. Our members this year include:
• Mauri Loyer, Instructor, Health and Community Care
• Hana Imai, Program Coordinator, ESL & Languages
• Melissa Wheeler, Production & Sales Assistant, TOWES
• Alana Thibault, Counsellor, Learner Success Services
• Din Ladak, CEO, Immigrant Services Calgary
Bow Valley College's policies for research and research ethics are committed to conducting research according to the highest standards of research ethics and outline the responsibilities of both the college and the researcher. They comply with the Tri-Council Policy Statement. Please refer to the BVC Policy Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Human Participants for more information, or if you would like more experience with the Tri-Council Policy Statement, there is a tutorial available online.
• Important Dates & Deadlines for 2012/2013
• Application Form for Ethics Review - after completion, please save your application and submit it electronically to Scottie Ray, Applied Research Officer, and send only ONE ORIGINAL Signatures page to the attention of Scottie Ray.
• Ethics Application Guide - this document provides information on filling out the application form
For more information on different aspects of the form, please see the sections below:
• Minimal Risk
• Confidentiality vs. Anonymity
• Informed Consent
• External Researcher
• Exempt from Research Ethics Board Approval
• Modification/Extension of an Approved Project
• Appealing REB Decisions
• Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions please contact:Scottie Ray
Applied Research Officer